• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFL to ship to California?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I sold a muzzleloader on Gunbroker to a buyer in CA. Havent heard from him yet, but got an email with attached FFL from some guy I never heard of, probably legit as he had the item number.

I sent an email to the buyer and waiting, but my question is,, does Cal require a muzzleloader go thru an FFL?

TIA

I sold a muzzleloader on Gunbroker to a buyer in CA. Havent heard from him yet, but got an email with attached FFL from some guy I never heard of, probably legit as he had the item number.

I sent an email to the buyer and waiting, but my question is,, does Cal require a muzzleloader go thru an FFL?

TIA
I don’t believe an internet forum is the best place to get legal advice, though you will get plenty of opinions…. Below is my opinion, for what it is worth.

If the buyer has provided an address to send their purchase to that happens to be an FFL and that FFL will accept the package from you, a non-FFL, I would send it as there should be no additional costs from your side if you are paying the shipping. It is possible (rumored) that certain jurisdictions in California require a FFL for muzzleloaders, and maybe that is the case for your buyer. If the California FFL requires the shipment to be from a FFL, might be time to renegotiate the deal with the buyer.

My main question is whether an FFL is required to receive it in Cal., not whether I have to ship via one, and not looking for legal advice. In my listings I always state if the receiving FFL requires the item be shipped from an FFL, find another FFL or dont bid.

These days there are a lot of, sadly, flaky buyers out there. I havent heard from the buyer, just this FFL and he has not replied to me either. I also await payment for a guy in Alaska that bought a bolt action from me, an NR buyer, no rating on Gunbroker, even though my listing states, NR bidders email first before bidding. He just ignored that part.

It should be pretty straightforward for the muzzleloader though, Cal either requires an FFL to receive or it doesnt. Hopefully someone from Cal can chime in.

Cali resident here...I've had no issues ordering muzzleloaders via mail...had one shipped from a gun shop in Michigan, one from Cabelas in 2019 before they decided the liability was too great and they now want you to buy it in person, and one from a guy on Gunbroker. The only CA requirements are being 18 or older and not a convicted felon, at least for pistols from what I understand. I was never asked about my age or felon status, but I think that is why Cabelas/BassPro now want you to come in as they will verify age and have you sign something that says you are not a felon. My son had to do that when he bought his first muzzleloader earlier this year. But, I am not a lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt.

Another CA resident who got a ML from Midway with no FFL and no issues.

This one:

582DECFF-7042-4F66-A9C1-151349AFDCCE.jpeg

Back