• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally done and loading good.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antelope Pete

40 Cal
Reaction score
Some of you might have seen my questions about slowing down Chambers finish and fouling ring trouble. Well they turned out ok. After several helpful suggestions on the forum the fouling was solved with 70 cycles of green Scotch Brite and oil. I was surprised but it worked...thank you. With the finish I just put it on and wiped it off as fast as I could and still try and make it look as good as my feeble self could.
This my attempt at a Leman style rifle. I didn't install the capbox I bought for it because I couldn't stand the thought of bad inletting ruining it after all I went through. I also bought a brush and ink to stripe the stock but the wood was better than I thought after staining and better than the supplier probably thought too. The wood is actually nicer in some light than the photos show. There are examples of Lemans without a capbox and artificial striping so I can live with that. I looked extensively at the book "Rifles of The American Indians" from Track so hopefully I captured some Leman styling. I put photos on the thread about the crud ring but it's a dying thread so I put some here.

Attachments

• DSC_1075.JPG
    DSC_1075.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC_1077.JPG
    DSC_1077.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_1081.JPG
    DSC_1081.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks everybody I appreciate it. I also forgot I asked drum questions for this rifle too.

Hermit Tim
Yeah I'm not really a fan of cap boxes either it's just that it's so iconic for a Leman. I also looked at Taylorz1 thread "A few Leman rifles" which show some without.

Last edited:
Some of you might have seen my questions about slowing down Chambers finish and fouling ring trouble. Well they turned out ok. After several helpful suggestions on the forum the fouling was solved with 70 cycles of green Scotch Brite and oil. I was surprised but it worked...thank you. With the finish I just put it on and wiped it off as fast as I could and still try and make it look as good as my feeble self could.
This my attempt at a Leman style rifle. I didn't install the capbox I bought for it because I couldn't stand the thought of bad inletting ruining it after all I went through. I also bought a brush and ink to stripe the stock but the wood was better than I thought after staining and better than the supplier probably thought too. The wood is actually nicer in some light than the photos show. There are examples of Lemans without a capbox and artificial striping so I can live with that. I looked extensively at the book "Rifles of The American Indians" from Track so hopefully I captured some Leman styling. I put photos on the thread about the crud ring but it's a dying thread so I put some here.
Nice Job!!

Thanks again to everybody for the compliments.
Painted stripes always look, well, painted.
You're right but if done like Leman did it they look ok. Having said that I like the natural wood look too.

Looking at photos of original Lemans and other Lancaster guns it's amazing how little wood there is on the sides of the fore end so I rasped off a lot of wood. I took her out for a 2 mile walk and since I'm used to the Hawken rifle feel, the lightness and trim profile of this gun was a joy to carry. On the other side the recoil with 54 cal. is much more noticeable at least off the bench.

Latest posts

Back