• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally Got Scope on Deerstalker (pics)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll admit that for me, scoping a muzzleloader that isn't a Whitworth, Wesson or Tryon is in the same category as crab-flavoured ice-cream. But, hey, if that's what you feel you need, go for it.

SDSmlf is correct about the epoxy being temporary. My experience with it is with attaching ramrod thimbles. Does OK for that & will get you by & it's not critical if a thimble breaks free. Your scope falling off during a hunt is a different story. Heat & especially cold will weaken the bond. Without screws it's just a matter of time before your scope falls off. Just a FYI. Good luck!

another more permanent solution would be a couple dovetail blanks welded to a flat rod .
dovetail blanks in the sight dovetails and flat stock extending between.
mount a picatinny rail on the flat stock and mount your scope to the picatinny.
i can here the gasps already! " a full length rail on a muzzleloader? OH! the Humanity!"
really guys i am personally a purist but also believe everyone should be allowed to do what they gotta do!
i have to use peeps these last 10-15 years, and they still look off to me on my flinters. but gotta do what i gotta do!

Many moons ago when Aimpoint came out with one of the first on the market red dot sights I put one on a TC Cherokee 45 caliber rifle. Use it for a few seasons but never cared for the rifle, when I changed over to in-lines for hunting I sold the Cherokee. Still have that old Aimpoint.
It’s a fact not all in these pages are into traditionalism. Many just like the extra field time blackpowder provides.:(

Many moons ago when Aimpoint came out with one of the first on the market red dot sights I put one on a TC Cherokee 45 caliber rifle. Use it for a few seasons but never cared for the rifle, when I changed over to in-lines for hunting I sold the Cherokee. Still have that old Aimpoint.
It’s a fact not all in these pages are into traditionalism. Many just like the extra field time blackpowder provides.:(
OR, many are like me, if it goes bang and casts a projectile i am all for it no matter the clothes it wears. kinda like redheads!

Well I'm glad you can see again and be able to shoot it accurately.
But my heart bleeds a little for the traditional aspect of it,,
Yeah, it's an "interesting" look. I still have enough traditional ones that I can live (and see) with this beast. My custom Lancaster rifle hangs above my 8 pt. whenever I need to feel more like 1800's.

i have found JB Weld and other epoxy type products to be temporary at best. Apply a little heat from the North Carolina sun for example and they tend to lose their grip. And at the most in opportune times in my experience. I would not rely on JB Weld as a permanent solution, but that is your call. Wish you the best of luck.
Well I figured this was an easier first step. If it works fine and if the scope comes off in the woods I stuff it in my coat and flip up the rear sight. From what info I could find JB is "supposed" to have the best strength and withstand 500 degrees. If it lasts two seasons, I'd re-glue it. If it doesn't make it thru one then it's time to drill.

another more permanent solution would be a couple dovetail blanks welded to a flat rod .
dovetail blanks in the sight dovetails and flat stock extending between.
mount a picatinny rail on the flat stock and mount your scope to the picatinny.
i can here the gasps already! " a full length rail on a muzzleloader? OH! the Humanity!"
really guys i am personally a purist but also believe everyone should be allowed to do what they gotta do!
i have to use peeps these last 10-15 years, and they still look off to me on my flinters. but gotta do what i gotta do!
OMG! Peeps on a flinter? :thumb: I'm feeling better already

I realized that I would ruffle a few feathers and step on a few moccasins with my post. The reason I put it out there was to show other oldsters like me that there is a solution (perhaps inept with the JB ) without having to move to new-fangled deer getters. Thanks to those who support my decision , if not my methods. I can assure all of you that I had no intention of actually offending anyone who is a total traditionalist.

Well I figured this was an easier first step. If it works fine and if the scope comes off in the woods I stuff it in my coat and flip up the rear sight. From what info I could find JB is "supposed" to have the best strength and withstand 500 degrees. If it lasts two seasons, I'd re-glue it. If it doesn't make it thru one then it's time to drill.
You’ll be ok as long as the JB Weld lets go at the same time on both mounts and not just one.

I have a crescent shaped cookie cutter type scar on my forehead from a scope that let go years ago, though the scar has faded significantly as time as passed. Basically the mounting screws were too short to properly hold in the tapped holes in the barrel/action (factory installation) and they ripped out on the first shot, destroying the gun, scope, my glasses and forehead to the tune of about a dozen stitches. Can’t mention manufacturer due to an ‘agreement’ with them. With the ‘scout’ position of your scope, doubt you will have a similar event, just a potential accuracy issue.

i feel like the 1800's every morning when i wake up! and the rest of the day too! getting old is fun. being old not so much.

Man alive you got that right. Dealt with clearing snow all day yesterday and it sent me whimpering for the camphorated ointment. After two cups of coffee this morning I am reminded of the adage "It's worse the second day after."

About flinters, this one is a third hand rough barrel freshed out to .52 with 28" twist.
.52 Shorty.JPG

Life has intervened in my plans so I've yet to conduct the experiments on long range flintlock accuracy. Still intending to do so though more and more it appears that something like a Malcolm or 3/4" Unertl would be a welcome addition.

You’ll be ok as long as the JB Weld lets go at the same time on both mounts and not just one.

I have a crescent shaped cookie cutter type scar on my forehead from a scope that let go years ago, though the scar has faded significantly as time as passed. Basically the mounting screws were too short to properly hold in the tapped holes in the barrel/action (factory installation) and they ripped out on the first shot, destroying the gun, scope, my glasses and forehead to the tune of about a dozen stitches. Can’t mention manufacturer due to an ‘agreement’ with them. With the ‘scout’ position of your scope, doubt you will have a similar event, just a potential accuracy issue.
I did consider the consequences of the bases letting go. The scope sits at least 9 inches from my eye protection. While there is always a chance of a failure, the way I see it is that both bases would have to rip off 100% at the same time, Then the scope would have to move straight back over that 9+ inches without tipping in either direction or hitting the hammer. I do understand that all of you mentioning that JB might/will not hold are offering their opinions and experiences for my safety and benefit. It IS appreciated. As for now, the deed is done but I intend to take it back to the range for more target practice and see how things hold up. I am considering adding some foam to the ocular. I will post pos or neg results here. Generally speaking after I get it absolutely dialed in I will most likely only shoot about 4 shots/ year. 3 shots to recheck zero before the season and one during the season. At least that's the way it's been for over 20 years. I have others to shoot at the range when not hunting.

I did consider the consequences of the bases letting go. The scope sits at least 9 inches from my eye protection. While there is always a chance of a failure, the way I see it is that both bases would have to rip off 100% at the same time, Then the scope would have to move straight back over that 9+ inches without tipping in either direction or hitting the hammer. I do understand that all of you mentioning that JB might/will not hold are offering their opinions and experiences for my safety and benefit. It IS appreciated. As for now, the deed is done but I intend to take it back to the range for more target practice and see how things hold up. I am considering adding some foam to the ocular. I will post pos or neg results here. Generally speaking after I get it absolutely dialed in I will most likely only shoot about 4 shots/ year. 3 shots to recheck zero before the season and one during the season. At least that's the way it's been for over 20 years. I have others to shoot at the range when not hunting.
A couple of wraps with a strip of rawhide will keep it in place if the jb weld fails. And it’ll look traditional, sorta… ;-)

Back