• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crs1945

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally got to the range today to fire my 45cal. CVA percussion. What a blast.Put all my shots inside the 9 ring at 25 yards. One flyer landed in the 7 ring.Had some difficulty raming the ball home. Used a .454 ball with a .018 patch. After the first shot and following swabing the bore the next ball was like a size and a half bigger?? Switched to a .451 ball with same patch and was still tight. Will have to pick up thinner patches. Any ideas?? Can't wait to go back!!

Muzzie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I believe the ball sizes typically used for the 45 cal. are .440 and .445. The balls you're using are for the cap and ball .44 cal. revolvers. Use the smaller size balls and let the patch (0.015) take up the difference in the bore. The balls will go down MUCH easier. Out of couriosity, how was the accuracy?

Muzzie,

I have no experience with .45 cal rifles (I shoot a .50 cal). Nevertheless I'm surprised you could load your rifle with a .454 ball and .018 patch :shocking:

The first suggestion that pops up in my mind is that you should keep the .018 patches, but try smaller balls (.440 or .445). But hey, if the .451 balls are working, just a little too tight, you might as well try some thinner patches, like .015. Chances are it will work fine for you. And whatever works for you & your rifle, is what really matters.

Good shooting!

Vanstg

FYI...most modern made ML rifles are built to industry standards and the "nominal" (middle of the road) sizes for a .45cal are typically .440's with .015" patches...any rifles bought off the shelf today should accept those sizes without difficulty and give pretty reasonable accuracy...then you can experiment from there if accuracy is not acceptable, etc...enjoy!

Yup Muzzie,,I gotta agree with Kyjames, the over bore size lead ball is meant for pistole, they "shave" to seat the cylinder proper when loading.
I use .445 spear ball and a .015 cut at the muzzle denum patch lubed 1-5 Dutch style in my old CVA Kentucky. Put that infront of about 60grns of Swiss 2f and I get sub 2" groups at 50yrds if I do my part(aka; feed well ,well rested and no hangover!)
What happens if you really have too pound the ball down is a certain degree of deformation,,the ball isn't a ball any more.
There's a hole science to that ball size/patch thing. You should have the "one ragged hole" at 25yrds,bench.

The accuracy was great, 5 shots under 3 inches.But man, you could build muscles in getting the ball to the powder. I was lucky to have my brass 3/8" range rod with a T handle to ram it home. I will try both .440 balls and thinner patches with the .451 balls.It may be awhile before I get back to the range but I will let you know how it goes.

Muzzie :D

Back