• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcrum

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally have ALL my parts for my Jaeger from TOTW! the lock arrived today (Davis Jager lock with Germanic cock)
With a holiday weekend coming up, I'm quite stoked!

One question- the jaws of the cock are smooth inside- is this normal? All my other flintlocks have teeth in the jaws to help grip the leather/flint. I can easily file some in there.

Guess it's time to start draw filing that barrel- thanks Zonie for the instructional post the other day!
:thumbsup:

I'm not familiar with Germanic. I've never seen smooth jaws and am courious if this is a fluke or what. Come on guys, help us out here :no:

Does it work?

Does the flint slip?

Have you tried it yet?

Anything we say is just speculation.

If it works without them then you don't need them, and neither do we.

If that is the case they are there for decoration and for our piece of mind, not for a purpose.

Just think, for nearly 500 years lockbuilders have been filing little tiney groves in the frizzen jaws just so we would not continually ask, "Dosen't it need little tiney groves?"

:hmm:

well I put a flint and leather in there and it made a great spark. I tried to move the flint in there and it seemed solid. I also looked in the Catalogue and it's smooth in the picture from what I can tell. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories...m=LOCK-JAEGER-C

I may do some light teeth in it anyway just for my own sanity. Next question:
The frizzen has a parting line from the casting and is a sort of rough finish-sort looks like it is supposed to be browned. I plan to polish it armory bright but the damn thing is really hard(as it should be!) Any tricks to cleaning it up? I'd hate to take a grinder to it.
Cheers,

The teeth will make you feel better anyway. You'd always worry about the flint slipping if you didn't put them in.

I do believe the original guns had both smooth and ridged jaws I have both and both work fine with a good flint.

Does it work?

Does the flint slip?

Have you tried it yet?

Anything we say is just speculation.

If it works without them then you don't need them, and neither do we.

If that is the case they are there for decoration and for our piece of mind, not for a purpose.

Just think, for nearly 500 years lockbuilders have been filing little tiney groves in the frizzen jaws just so we would not continually ask, "Dosen't it need little tiney groves?"

:hmm:

HHHMM, a familiar theme. :hmm:

The jaws of your Davis Jaeger lock are supposed to be smooth. I have never had any trouble with the flint staying in place on them, however a few file lines would not hurt it I guess.

As for polishing the frizzen, if I am using a polished lock, I file or sand off the parting lines & take it to a buffing wheel & polish it bright. Don't get it too hot & be careful as the wheel will really grab one & throw it. For the lock plate & cock I file off the parting lines & casting roughness & sand them on down by hand to a 600 grit & then polish them on a buffing wheel.

Most likely that is a new style Davis lock (if it is a one piece lockplate)& if so you must be careful inletting the lock at the cock & bridle area as there is not much room for error here the way the lockplate is designed. If you cut too much wood for a groove where the cock comes up from the lock & won't drag the wood, you could have a gap down into the lock inlet. On a few of them I have had to file just a lil off the side of the cock shaft where it bottoms to the lockplate, to compensate for this & leave a lil more wood there to cover this. Kinda hard to explain & if I failed to do so clearly, email me & I will take a couple of digital photos & show you. [email protected]

:results:

Latest posts

Back