• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finish coming off T/C barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's closer, but the blue on these guns has a fake look to it- like some one painted it on. The screws on my '60 Army are nitre blued, so I have a comparison available.

The finish looked really authentic in the ads, but in my hand it just looks wrong. If you showed up in 1847 with this Walker, folks would be asking what the #%*+ you'd done to it. And the case hardening is the usual Italian chemical kind, and this bogus bluing makes that really obvious. Nice photographs, by the way. Did you have that rifle refinished?

STUMPKILLER-WITH A 92 LEVER GUN, I AM SURPRISED. You are still the man,seems like you and Musketman are always bailing me out. Thanks,I do not own anything past 1873, the 73winchester is an original,44-40,from my great,great, great grandfather(Horse soldiers drives him crazy).Perhaps he was on the wrong side of little big horn,but that might be your point of view.Respectfully Montanadan..(who has had entirely to many green beers,happy ST.Pats day to everyone)Good Night

It's not my gun! Honest. I just stole the images off a refinishing site. :haha:

I even sold my AKM, AR-15 and Mini-14. :haha: Haven't fired a centerfire rifle in several years except my .223 single-shot garden patrol gun (peep sights - no scope). Eat copper, woodchuck!

I would suggest you try something other than Birchwood Casey. I blued an OLD CVA Colonial Pistol kit's barrel using BC. The process was easy and rather interesting and the barrel looked beautiful when done. However, the finish is not very durable. I am going to stip it off and practice a browning process on it before I try it on my T/C Hawken -- I'm thinking of stipping the bluing off and browning it.

Hey zonie I'm Smokey Beard one of the new guys Iv'e built a few Lyman plains rifles and one Cabela's hawkin, I've used birchwood caseys plum brown with great success. I first had my local gunsmith bead blast the barrels, then degreased them with rubbing alcohol. I used a plumbers torch (propane) to heat them, the temp is real important follow the instructions about how hot to make them, shoot alittle flame inside the barrel too, DO NOT TOUCH THE barrels before you heat them. I apply the plum brown with Brownell's shop swabs, follow the instructions on the bottle. When I'm happy with the color I soak the barrels over night in good old WD40. I was surprised how well they turned out and it's durable. It's lasted three hunting seasons here in Pennsylvania. :relax:

Back