• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished my first build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job on the rifle, especially for a first one. Your time, study & patience paid off.

As for the glare on the barrel & deer.

1: It is a good excuse for guys that don't want to admit THEY spooked the deer off.

2: I have killed over 30 deer with a In-the-White Jaeger & never ever one time did the barrel glare be an issue for me or the deer.

Keith Lisle

Very nice.

Did you do anything to the underside of the barrel to protect it?

Also, you may consider one of those nipple protector pieces to prevent gas and cap bits from getting in your eye. OR atleast wear safety glasses.

Very nice work.

Also, what are you doing to preserve the in the white?

Applying wax, specifc oil, etc....

OR are you just going to allow it to age controllably?

Thank you, Dave, for the advice and the pictures. I agree completely!

Fools sulphur,
I applied a thin layer of Vaseline to the bottom three flats. I think I read that somewhere.
After I shot it the other day and after I cleaned the rifle, I wiped the exposed barrel flats and lock with a thin coat of Birchwood Casey's Barricade. It's going to a be trial and error deal I figure. May have to use a little 0000 steel wool from time to time.

Anyone else have a tried and true method of maintaining a barrel in the white?

Great looking rifle! I notice you are just across the river, and mentioned getting help from a local builder. Just wondering if it was Mr. Walden?

Back