• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished my knife!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasilikilt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here it is

Some of you may have seen it in the works in another thread.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/232551/pid/701067/post/last/m/1/#LAST

Initially I had the mind to make the old blade I bought into a copy of a Shively/Perkins Bowie knife.
It was made obvious to me by other forum members that my blade wasn't well suited for this particular style, so I figured I'll just play it by ear with what materials I had on hand.

This is what I ended up with

newknife4002.jpg

newknife4003.jpg

newknife4004.jpg

The whole thing is around 15" long with a 10" blade.
The type of blade steel is anyone's guess, but it is reasonably hard, flexible and holds and edge even after repeated whacks into maple limbs and hacking into a log chopping block.

The handle is black buffalo horn secured with peened-over iron pins. This was also my first attempt at a poured pewter bolster and end cap.

It took me 4 pours to attain results that didn't have all kinds of bubbles and voids! :surrender:

The sucker is heavy too!

Anyways, I'm pleased with the end result and I hope you enjoy checking it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing my best impression of an Aussie accent,"Now that's a knife!" :haha:

Nice job! :hatsoff:

I had been reading the other post with some interest. Glad to see it turned out well! Hope you enjoy it. :)

Warren :v

Lookin' good! :thumbsup:

Where do you attach the wheels to haul that sucker around? :haha:

show us the sheath when you make one.

Ian, I have to tell you that style knife is not my favorite; BUT....you have done a great job in finishing it up! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Looks good from where I'm sittin. Seems like a bit of a hand full.
How much does it weigh?
Dusty

Back