• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fire starting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamus

36 Cal.
Reaction score
After reading the comment by Sparks of Dutch Glory under the discussion on patching, I thought it would be interesting to hear what others have used in their fire kit.
Besides cotton and linen, what have you used to catch a spark? I've had great success with charring (after it thoroughly dries) rotten, punky wood. A small piece will burn longer and hotter than cloth.

Hemp string picked in to fibers is good tinder.
It’s been over a month with no rain here so grass flashes like it was soaked in gasoline
I’ve tried punk and holds a spark well, but we know ‘tinder’ was defined as chard rag used to catch a spark back in the day.

IF you can collect fallen pine needles that have been run over by vehicles until they are like fiber, they are great in a tinder bundle.

After reading the comment by Sparks of Dutch Glory under the discussion on patching, I thought it would be interesting to hear what others have used in their fire kit.
Besides cotton and linen, what have you used to catch a spark? I've had great success with charring (after it thoroughly dries) rotten, punky wood. A small piece will burn longer and hotter than cloth.

TF is very good! I have used it in my firepistons. From what I have read, years ago primative tribes would also use similar material to carry fire to another camp. In case you don't know this stuff glows similar to a cigarette or a fireworks punk.
Larry

Screenshot 2024-10-23 at 2.57.01 PM.png

Back