• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fired my Blunderbuss today. :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittzo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My steel Blunderbuss from MVCT came in more than a week ago, my flints came in the mail today. Specifics: 14" steel barrel, .678" bore, my .68" lead balls won't fit. I plan on using a patched .60" ball, birdshot, and buckshot.

I've barely touched a flintlock before. Via Pete's advice I bought a few different styles of flints from Track of the Wolf and figured out how to make sparks, then I filled the depression of the pan with Goex Pinnacle 3F and pulled the trigger and it went whoosh! and filled my kitchen with smoke. It ignited instantaneously and I heard the whoosh go through the flashhole and smoke came out of the barrel, so I know it will shoot quick. I was so excited and it was so fun, I called my girlfriend to tell her.

Now I need to see if the Shockey's Gold 2F will work in the pan.

I have some Goex 2F and 3F BP, I was just seeing it it would be possible to use the substitutes so I can use them up faster to get to the good stuff.

Any advice you want to give me will be appreciated.

The best thing you can do for reliable firing with the substitutes is to use the real black powder in the pan, and also put about 5 grains down the barrel, then load the substitute powder. Not in that order, always prime the pan only when on the firing line, just before shooting (maybe not in the kitchen-especially anytime before expecting the Girlfriend over).

I have done a lot of testing of the subs in a flintlock. A lot more than most folks have. I can positively say, “Don’t use subs in the pan!” No matter what you think, it ain’t firing fast. It won’t even be consistent if you do it enough you’ll see. I have never shot a blunderbuss so maybe it doesn’t matter.

Being a blunderbuss doesn't have anything to do with how well the priming the pan works.

None of the synthetic powders that I've heard of work well for priming a flintlock.
If they do ignite (and they often won't) they burn much like smokeless powders on a bench, more of a "WHOOOOOSH" than the "POOF" that black powder causes.

these are a hoot and kick in the A?? to shoot
2f will be fine in the barrel and pan the one i had i just put buckshot in

There are a lot of variables even under good weather conditions. I didn't think about condensation when I took a 75 degree gun outside into a 100 degree, 50% humidity environment. It was sweating all over. I used 3F Goex Pinnacle as the ignition charge, just filling up the depression on the pan. I used 50 grains of Shockey's Gold as the main charge with wadded TP over the powder and fired it as a blank to see if it ignited. It was slow, probably from the sweating and the Pinnacle. I then loaded it with the same charge of powder, 50 grains of #7 birdshot, and wadded up TP as the overpowder wad and overshot wad. It went off again, but it was slow. I showed my kids the sparks when they got home from school and it greatly amused them when I flashed the pan in my bedroom. No worries, I have a ceiling fan. :)

I'm going to use Goex 2F and 3F as the ignition charge today and 60 grains of Goex 2F as the main charge. I'm going to let the gun acclimate to the heat and humidity after I load the main charge. I'm going to use a greased felt wad over the powder like I do with my rifles. The flint is looking pretty ragged, but it's a soft French amber and I didn't have it set up right the first few times I made sparks, I'll try a Tom Fuller next.

Is there a wife? I get in trouble when I just bring in the already shot guns from outside!

My house is one big man cave. :) I see my gf once a week, if I'm lucky.

I'm going to pass on trying 2F in the pan, I forgot that a couple years ago I bought a charger flask. I've got it full of Goex 3F, it's easier than using my pistol flask.

I made up some packets of 70 grains of #7 shot and used my .75" greased felt wads I made for my .69 Springfield. That and the Goex made a world of difference. It ignites as fast as a caplock or even a regular shotgun. I underestimated the humidity, frecking 85%. I sat the gun outside for an hour to acclimate. I tried having my son take pics when I shot it the other night, but the camera fogged up and wouldn't work, but I'll get it done.

Hey wittzo, pictures of your blunderbuss are required (at least badly needed).

From one blunderbuss shooter to another:

Yes they are a blast!

And as others have posted--it is still a flintlock thus substitutes do not work as primers and they are also poor main charges although some people use a mix, I would not do so.

"Kick in the A" ain't half of it. Once I picked up a bunch of old .22 brass cases laying around and used them to totally demolish an old 10W-30 can. Weehah!!!!!!!

Back