• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firing the second barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G'day,

I have a set of double barrel 12 gauge tubes coming with my new Pedersoli Kodiak. I have done a lot of reading about this style of gun but have not been able to find a definitive statement concerning the firing of the second barrel.

There are many references to the possibility of the wads, particularly the overshot wad, moving so giving a loose shot load with possible consequences. One reference suggests the overshot wads sold today are not effective and recommends an over powder wad or even a cushion wad be used over the shot.

OK I can decap and check the load with the ramrod but what if I want to use the second barrel to complete the kill. Heaven forbid I might have even missed completely. :eek:

What can you tell me from your experience?

Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob

I have NOT had any trouble with the second barrel remaining seated. BUT remember, just because the barrel says on it 12ga. doesn't mean you may not have to use 11ga. componets for a snug fit. You can get a good idea when you load the gun. If after you have all the powder and it's cards and cushions in and you place the shot in and the overshot card tries to push the ramrod up and out of your hand, you probably have a good tight fit. BUT DO, shoot one barrel and DO check the seating of the other barrel. It is the only true way to know.

Yes.....you are correct about ALL of that....it can happen..
I shoot a 12 ga SXS and never had a problem.
You must do what you can to minimize the chances of all the negative things even happening....for instance.
I use the old ALCAN fiber wads....they are tight as the dickens! they dont move around....
I am sure other members will give you some pointers also.

***** WV SCROUNGER ****

Aussie Bob,
From my experience, besides hunting, shooting skeet and trap I load the second barrel with 2 over shot cards. In the past I have checked the second barrel to see if the load shifted, but so far nothing to worry about.

For waterfowl hunting I use a 10 gauge SxS with 4

I shot a 12 SxS for a while, did not have a problem. All the wads and cards were a tight fit; the few times i checked the second barrel there was no apparent change in the load column. All shooting with that gun was on the trap range.

I always loaded both barrels and shot 2 targets. Even attempted to shoot doubles once or twice. After that humiliation, i just shot one bird at a time, which was humiliating enough.

Barrels were cylinder bore, so the snug wad/card fit wasn't affected by any differences in bore diameter, jug choke, or screw in chokes. I have no experience with that kind of barrel (so far).

I think if you use a tight fitting card and wad you will not have a problem with reasonable loads.

good luck with yours...

rayb

I'm sorry, i forgot to add that i used a single OVERSHOT card over the shot in both barrels, never had a problem. Used 2 overshot cards under the cushion wad instead of buying two different thickness of cards.

Look up V M Starr on google. He gives some good advice based on more experience than i have.

rayb

You can use two (2) over-shot wads to hold the shot in place, I done this before and it seems to work well...

Mr. Bob,
Though it is a fish of a different flavor, we have a Kodiak of .50cal that we got in trade a few years ago that has a bulged left barrel. Think the original owner was shooting a patched round ball, as the story went. Just goes to show it can happen.
Best Wishes

Aussie Bob,

I've been shooting skeet and hunting with an original (circa 1832) side by twice 12 ga. for a while now and have never had any sort of problems with loads loosening. In fact I've taken several doubles when dove and pheasant hunting and she continues to perform wonderfully.

I guess my point is that if a 172 year old Damascuss barrel doesn't slip loads, then I can't see why a modern barrel would be any different. ...Powder/overpowder card/pre-lubed wad (unless I'm on a completely primitive hunt in which case I use hornet's nest for wadding)/shot/overshot card...

Oh, BTW - No matter which bbl. I shoot first, I do make a point of firing the other next, even in the event of a single. I.,E., If a bird gets up and I shoot the right, I'll re-load but then use the left bbl. for the next shot and so on...

Good luck!

...The Kansan...

I tested this in a 12 I used to have, both barrels cylinder bore. Loaded barrel #2 but left the cap off, and fired #1 ten times in a row to see if I could make anything move. Only shooting 1 1/8 oz loads, but nothing ever shifted. Like Kansan, I still alternated which barrel I shot first just in case.

A friend has a more contemporary version with chokes. On my advice he tried the same experiment, with basically the same results. Don't remember the load combo on mine or his, but the cards were tight in any case.

Good idea to check your gun and load the same way, though.

I have a Pedersoli 12 Ga SxS. I load with only wonder wads. I use two over the powder and one over shot. I have not had a problem with anything coming loose after shooting the first barrel. I find that using one wad for everything makes it simple and I can't see where I'm sacrificing anything in my patterns.

Have you ever properly patterned your shot loads on paper at 40yds., using 30" and 20" circles, counting shot in and shot delivered, percentages & numbers in the different Quadrants?
: If not, there is no way of telling consclusively whether or not your patterns are suffering. Just because you are hitting game with them, doens't mean they are good patterns.
: I have used the system you describe, and the patterns, compared to those comprised of normal shotgun wadded ones, were dismal indeed, patchy, and not very consistant. Once the patterns were improved, hitting with BP shotguns became very similar to hitting with modern guns & ranges were also simlilar to modified modern shotguns. 40-55 yds. was well within the cylinder smoothbore's range on birds.
: IT is very difficult to tell what exactly is going on, unless pattening is done properly & scientifically.
: Shooting at a can doesn't tell anything other than there is a centre concentration of shot, 5" or so in dia. IT tells nothing of the killing pattern size or shape or eveness of the overall pattern which is prone to huge holes that aren't consistant in location, shot to shot.
: Counting pellets is the only way. Film canisters can be of benefit for holding exact #'s of shot.
: BTW - changing any component, shot size, powder charge, or whatever, changes the manner of the pelter's patterns.

I have patterned on paper. As for counting shot, no, even though I am retired, I have better things to do than count shot. I can get a fairly good idea, looking at the paper what is a desirable pattern and when I get there, I'm satisfied. In this sport there are a lot of variables and no absolutes. I don't know where you got the idea that I was only shooting at cans. I've done that too as well as a lot of clay birds.

Back