• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First (and second) muzzleloader deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjmcdonald

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I haven't had good experience with photos from photobucket but here goes.

I've been hunting with both my TC Hawken and Pedersoli KLR for several years but this is my first traditional take. She came out about 3:30, 75 yards to my left front. I watched her until she stopped about 60 yards to my front, nice broadside. It took me a few seconds (more likely less) to calm my excitement and settle the sights right behind the front shoulders. Perfect double lung shot.

She took off running, towards me quartering to my right. I watched her run into the thick brush and heard her crash. It was hard to sit still and wait so to distract myself I very deliberately reloaded. Climbed down from the platform about 15 minutes later and walked to where she stood when I shot. Easily marked by a tuft of grass. No blood or sign. I was a little surprised.

Followed where I had watched her run and where I marked her entering the brush. Still no blood. At this point, I was a little anxious I'd missed. I was hunting a friend's property and I'd have been very upset to wound or miss. He is a very gracious host and in my mind it would be improper on my part.

I calmed myself again, sure in my shot placement. Followed the trail as I'd seen her go in. About 10 yards in, where I'd heard, there she was. As I thought, double lung. All told, she ran about 60 yards and fell.

.445 round ball over 70 grains 3F powder, for those interested.

Promised my mom venison sausage and meat so he let me hunt again Sunday morning and I followed up with another doe. This time from about 25 yards. Similar shot, similar run.

I didn't take a photo of second deer but did take this from the stand.

I should add that another good friend had both his grandsons, 10 & 13, for a youth hunt that weekend. The oldest took his first buck, a nice 8 point (though with a modern rifle). Keeping this post short, we had a great weekend and stocked a few freezers.

PJ

Thank you, gents. I'm thankful and blessed. I've learned a few lessons along the way. Patience, first of all. Many days enjoying the woods with no harvest. Practice. Learn your gun and how she shoots. Trust your shot making. Watch and listen. Both before and after the shot. Know your limits. Dress warm and dry. Return thanks!

And on another fine note, I get to take my 71 year old dad on his first deer hunt tomorrow. I'll have .50 TC. He'll have my .45 Kentucky.

PJ

Great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing. I love reading success stories. Curious did the rb exit?

Excellent! Thanks for sharing your well written story and photos. I haven't had the courage to try my .45 on deer YET.

45-70,
Exited both times. I gained tremendous confidence in the .45 prb. Like your moniker - .45 cal (.445) ball over 70 grains of powder is very effective.

PJ

Congrats on your successful hunt, PG :thumbsup: Really love the photo from the treestand as it is almost like being in the stand!

PJ Enjoyed the pictures and hunt along..Good Times...
Congrats on your firsts...Never to be forgotten.
You touched on good points shooting bp and round balls
pass throughs don't always happen and shot placement and angle are everything.
Well done!

Back