• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first ball shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanda

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi
i have know experence with sidlocks.
looking for .50 ball shooter for sons xmas present.
The traditions deerhunter is very reasonable,but
will he have a hard time with misfires.
Don't know if other brands or models would be better choice.
At 135.00 if it shoots it would be a good starter rifle.

thanks andy

I have a 10 year old daughter that I need to infect with smoke poles. Unfortunatly all the rifles I have found for her to try have been far to barrel heavy.

How old is your son? If in the same age range as my daughter, does the Deerhunter fit him well?

I'm looking for a small bore to get her started.

CVA Bobcat (if you can find one at Wal-Mart) $54.00
This was my first M/L. Bought a New T/C Hawken for me now and giving this to my son.

keep it clean and load it properly and there shouldn't be any misfires. keep the loads modest so it doesn't hurt on both ends.

Here's one more vote for the CVA bobcat . They are good accuarte rifles . Try October Country , if you can't find one at Wal Mart .

I would agree with the bobcat. Its affordable and pretty accurate. while you in wallyworld, If you find one buy 2 packs of the cheap .94 clay (playdough) and fill the butstock with it. It will balance the rifle and soak up some recoil.

Good luck with the young ones. My son will be 8 soon and I cant wait for him to be my hunting buddy. :hatsoff:

I"m also looking for an entry level shooter,and went to the CVA website.Can someone tell me why there are two prices? Is the lower price a synthetic stocked rifle?
also,it says has fixed sights but comes with adjustable sights.They include and extra set of sights?
The price is sure right!!
**** from the website****
It comes standard with fixed sights, wooden ramrod and is backed by CVA's famous lifetime mechanical warranty. Adjustable sights included. 6 lbs. total weight.

PR4102 Ӣ .50 Caliber Bobcat Percussion $69.95
PR4112 Ӣ .50 Caliber Bobcat Percussion Wod Stock $99.95

If one of you all would like to pm me, I have a CVA Sharpshooter percussion with adjustable sights that would be good for a first bp rifle. 50 cal, good shape, wooden stock, Hawken style. My son, who I bought it for, is not interested at all in bp. He loves his 22 though, and this one just hangs on the wall. If for a child, price would be very reasonable.

DwarvenChef said:
I have a 10 year old daughter that I need to infect with smoke poles. Unfortunatly all the rifles I have found for her to try have been far to barrel heavy.

How old is your son? If in the same age range as my daughter, does the Deerhunter fit him well?

I'm looking for a small bore to get her started.

Traditions made a "scout" series that were youth models in 45 and 50 cal. The 45 has served my boys well!

Swoter tell me more about it I may be interested looking for a rifle for my daughter right now.

Has it been shot? How much $?

Latest posts

Back