• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First BP shoot after 15 or so years

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ald55437

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to a shoot yesterday. Chapter of the NMLRA. It was low key and a lot of fun. I shot my new-to-me TC New Englander, 54 Cal. I did ok for me, but didn't win any prizes.

I notices that most were shooting more traditional styled rifles, many with set triggers. I suppose that would make a difference. I'm thinking that if I do more target shooting I'd probably get a hawken styled 54 cal with set triggers.

I had a "hot-shot" nipple using Goex FFg. No problems when I remembered that it's powder, patch ball. :redface: At least I didn't launch the ramrod.

I'm thinking that if I do more target shooting I'd probably get a hawken styled 54 cal with set triggers
Hey that is a good reason to buy a new gun :applause:... always need more guns right...Im working on my reason now...maybe I can use yours..
honey, I need a gun with a set trigger :: nope wont work.. GPR has set triggers... :hmm:
oh I know, honey, I need a flintlock :: :applause: that will work :haha: :haha: :haha: Isnt that how you fellas do it? :crackup:

Welcome back to BP shooting.. one of the neatest hobbies I ever got involved in...glad you had a good time. :thumbsup:

How do, LB.

If ya' had fun and didn't shoot nobody, you done good. :: I just went to my first ever muzzleloader shoot yesterday and it was a hoot 'n a half! I went four relays before I forgot the mantra "powder, patch, & ball". :redface: Oh well...at least the ribbing was good-natured and I was the only greenhorn there but not the only one who dry-balled, so I didn't feel too bad.

What are you smoking? Pass it over here! There are lots of "accessories" to get a new rifle. Dinner out with the wife, a new dress (for her silly!) jewelery, a few "discussions" Then when the ringing in the ears dimishes from the "discussion", the new gun might get ordered.

:hmm:
oh I know, honey, I need a flintlock :: :applause: that will work :haha: :haha: :haha: Isnt that how you fellas do it? :crackup::

That's how I did it! :D :hmm: Actually, it was more like, "Honey, I need a flintlock. And then I'm done!" And she said something like. "Yea, I've heard that before"
:haha: But it worked ::

I dunno...the wife and I have been together for so long we are outfoxing the way we used to outfox the way we used to outfox each other. Kinda scary of late..She Who Must Be Obeyed has come up with a new wrinkle. If I say I want (ok..more like "Dear..er..I need this...") something she will 98% of the time tell me to buy it. Now it gets really scary, see..she will let me buy it...but man of man...she knows that her turn is right around the corner. She will not ask or tell me..she will flat out buy what she wants and if I say anything, well, I get the "I told you to buy what you want..you mean to tell me I can't buy what I want?" I tell ya, you gotta watch these wimmin and the older they get..oh man! :: :D

Well..wait a minute..got an idea...Wonder if it would work if I told the wife I wanted something..told her the price (of course it would be something I know would blow her mind) and then came back later with something along the lines of "hey, I found this and it will work just as well" which is of course the thing I wanted to begin with. :D

Quote: "...Well..wait a minute..got an idea...Wonder if it would work if I told the wife I wanted something..told her the price (of course it would be something I know would blow her mind) and then came back later with something along the lines of "hey, I found this and it will work just as well" which is of course the thing I wanted to begin with. "

That might work but be prepared. A few days after you order your new gun she will appear and say "You remember all that money you saved when you bought your new gun?
Well, I saved us a lot more when I found this Special on a New Outfit for Me, and the way I figure it, with all of the money you saved, and all of the money I saved I had an extra $500 so I also got Me this brand new......." :: ::

You ought to know by now, You Will Never Win. ::

:crackup: that's a good one Zonie, sounds to me like you've been hitched for a while. Me and the Mrs. got 38 years come this September, and I wouldn't have thought of that one! I did however try this once (and only once). I bought a new rifle, left it at my buddies house, then had him telephone me when we were sure the wife was home. He told her that I had won it on some raffel tickets that I had bought.............. it didn't work; ::
Soggy

oh I know, honey, I need a flintlock :: :applause: that will work :haha: :haha: :haha: Isnt that how you fellas do it? :crackup:

Wow...I've got to be the luckiest guy on the planet. I say to my lovely wife...going to start a new project...like to build an early rifle...maybe pre Rev War...She replies "are there any other books you need to do your research? Does Chambers make a kit for that rifle?....Be sure you use a swamped...no more of those heavy straight barrels...can we go shoot some night this week?"

God I love her...... :) :D :front:

Can I borrow your wife for awhile? She could teach mine to think like that I would be indebted to you forever! How's her cooking?

Can I borrow your wife for awhile? She could teach mine to think like that I would be indebted to you forever! How's her cooking?

Flashpanner,

Cooking...well she's a good o'le Ohio farm girl. Need I say more??? Took me two tries to get this wife thing right but I sure lucked out the second time!

Congrats and welcome back to the wonderful world of muzzleloading!

It's a great time.. I hit quite a few shoots a year myself.. and love them all!

Latest posts

Back