• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First buck with Kibler Flintlock--thanks to the forum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually about 48 yards once you got that deer dropper up to your shoulder. The deer is nice, but there are great memories of the voyage getting there. Many many more be in your future.

Thanks for all the kind words! One thing I learned in my first year hunting with this is--deer stands were not made with Kentucky Longrifle dimensions or weight in mind! 😄

Regarding the caliber and load: It is a 50 cal and I use 75 grains of 3F holy black with 4F pan powder. I will add a word about the Kibler lock. While I don't have experience outside of this year with a flint, I had read on this forum the importance of having a good quality lock. I've put a lot of rounds through the gun this year practicing to make sure I could make an ethical shot and felt comfortable with the load/accuracy--and that lock has never misfired or hangfired once. In fact, the only time it didn't fire was when this dummy forgot to put a load of powder down before the ball--and then had to ball screw/fish the darn thing out. I learned early that when loading, don't be bsing and talk out what you're doing!

Thanks again to this forum for all the threads that perhaps I did not participate in but read and learned from. What a great resource this is/was for a new guy!

Best,

Ryan

Congratulations on a fantastic adventure
Thanks for all the kind words! One thing I learned in my first year hunting with this is--deer stands were not made with Kentucky Longrifle dimensions or weight in mind! 😄

Regarding the caliber and load: It is a 50 cal and I use 75 grains of 3F holy black with 4F pan powder. I will add a word about the Kibler lock. While I don't have experience outside of this year with a flint, I had read on this forum the importance of having a good quality lock. I've put a lot of rounds through the gun this year practicing to make sure I could make an ethical shot and felt comfortable with the load/accuracy--and that lock has never misfired or hangfired once. In fact, the only time it didn't fire was when this dummy forgot to put a load of powder down before the ball--and then had to ball screw/fish the darn thing out. I learned early that when loading, don't be bsing and talk out what you're doing!

Thanks again to this forum for all the threads that perhaps I did not participate in but read and learned from. What a great resource this is/was for a new guy!

Best,

Ryan
Very nicely done!!

Best,

Ryan
Welcome to the brotherhood. Many more adventures with that rifle await.

Back