• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First build - J Chambers Isaac Haines

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Socal,
I have the same kit sitting in my gun safe while I butcher a ToTW Ohio rifle as my practice gun.
I have limited metal and woodworking skills, with the emphasis on "limited."
I have all the books and several videos and have read and watched them several times.
I have made a myriad of mistakes, and covered up a few, and some will be evident. But, man it is satisfying.
My advice as a first time builder is go slow, and stop when you are tired. The stuff that I thought would go quickly took forever, and some of the stuff that I was massively intimidated by went quick and easy.
Cheers,
Norm

Also,
I would add to your list of tools:
R E Davis makes a handy gadget for aligning your drill press to drill the lock bolt and the tang bolt. There is a picture of such a device on page 165 of Gunsmiths of Grenville county. I'm sure this could be easily made at home, but I bought one.
I drilled and tapped the lock bolt the other day using that guide and it was a snap.

In my opinion, depending on your age of course, the best gun building tool you can buy is a pair of 5 power Optivisors.

My first gun was a slop job because my 65 year old eyes just couldn't see detail. I bought some Optivisors and did a much better job on inletting for parts my second gun.

Chow, thanks for the website. I have been looking all over for that thing. Lol
Eric, I have bad eyes also. I have added two additional fluorescent lights above and beside my bench. Working when you can't see is tough.
Pete, the front site and undercuts dovetails are cut. The only one I need to do is the rear site. Still not sure if I will even install a rear site (period correct?)

Funny you should mention the optivisor. I just started wearing my reading glasses over my contact lenses while inletting and it has made a big difference!
Cheers,
Norm

The importance of a really solid workbench and a pair of good vises cannot be overemphasized. I built my bench from a freight damaged solid core door, adding a cross braced substructure made up from paired 2x4 lumber. Rather than bolt it to the floor I added mass- three "tube of sand" bags from Home Depot rest on a shelf under the top surface.

A tool and die makers vise is at one end, and a largish bench vise from HD is at the other. The top of the bench is drilled so the vises can be moved to the other ends. Don't try to do anything without holding the workpiece securely. Make up a variety of jaw pads from wood, brass, carpet scraps, leather, etc. A height adjustable rest such as is illustrated in the Gunsmith of Grenville County book works ever so much better than a random stack of wood scraps. As in so many things, time spent getting ready to do the work is time well spent.

A bit of advice from Tom F., a nearby builder of many fine arms: "When you feel like really leaning on the chisel and moving some wood- set it down and take your dog for a walk." Patience is a major ingredient of good workmanship.

White Fox

Back