• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first cap and ball revolver kill !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

I'm not going to comment on the grammar and punctuation. Looks like it's been done the death.

However, I believe he shot just fine. Small game does not always die as we would expect it to. Here is a post from another board I made a year or two ago:

Joshua M. Smith said:
Hello,

There was a fox squirrel out chewin' on the apple tree's buds.

Even though they're about two months out of season, we have deprecation laws, just have to report the taking to a C.O. within 24 hours (done).

Anyway, I ran and grabbed my .22 rifle, and found the thing heading toward the garden, about 50 yards away. So I braced against a tree and shot it through the head.

I went in, put my .22 up, and went back out to take pictures for the C.O.

Here they are, thumbed, so you can get the kiddos out of the room. Just click on the pics:

The bullet entered above the left eye.

As it expanded, the bullet blew out the forehead.

Exit through the right eye.

However, when I got to this critter, it was still alive, trying to sit up. When I went to stand on it (remember, no .22 any longer), it tried to fight me. I was able to kick it over and stand on its ribs to stop its breathing.

I do not understand how the squirrel could have survived like this. Both the frontal lobes would be pretty much, mush.

And the fact that I took my time getting the rifle put up and finding my camera - well, it was alive for about 15 minutes before I got out there.

I've never had this happen before. I'm starting to think my squirrels are bionic!

As well, it occurs to me that this could be a model for the combat shooter: If a 2lb squirrel took a comparatively large hollowpoint round through the head, and was still able to fight, what does that say about a human's ability to fight after taking a relatively small round to the head? I guess even CNS hits fail to stop now and again.

Has anyone else experienced this type of thing? I think I may go back to heart shots...

Thanks,

Josh

Not to brag, but I am a hell of a good shot with a scoped rifle, especially that one. With bulk ammo, it holds 1.09 MOA at 100 yards. With subsonic target ammo, it will hold about half an inch group at that distance. This is using a bipod or front bag and no rear rest. I expect perfect accuracy out of myself and my firearms.

I nailed the eye, which was my aiming point.

If I shoot through the chest, it takes a bit to bleed out. They do run. This is why I do mostly head shots.

In light of all of this, I will say that kid did OK. He obviously hit the vitals and retrieved his quarry. Can anyone here honestly say that they've never lost an animal?

Regardless, if a rabbit is anything like a human, it was likely not in pain. A gunshot wound first feels numb. It's only later that it hurts. It's much like it in your thumb with a hammer.

If death or loss of consciousness occurs within 5 minutes, there's no suffering to be had.

The kid did good.

Josh

Never blamed my age for being rude. Please quote that.

I guess you forgot about his thread when he blasted a deer. You all jumped on him for that. I sort of saw the same thing here. He guessed at the elevation, and got lucky.

As for the grammar thing. Oh well. I hope you all had fun with me. It was fun seeing your personalities come out. Usually you're kind of hidden.

My grammar. Of course it stinks. I had to leave school in the 10th grade and go to work. I was a truck driver most of my life. I managed to make enough money to retire at 55. Even with my lousy grammar. I do know how to make a paragraph though.

So, to SS. You made a good shot, but I think it was a bit chancy. Practice up, and be a little more sure next time. I can remember when I was hunting at your age. It was hard to pass up any shot. So, I do understand.

When you make a post. Throw in a paragraph here and there. It makes it easier to read.

For the rest of you guys. You can untwist your panties now. :blah:

Nice job Sniper. Keep on sharing with us. Gee wiz guys, lighten up. This is a place for sharing ideas and good tales. I for one will leave the schooling to another venue.
Chasing Crow

Thanks for all the positive replys guys :thumbsup: I really had a good time. I had practiced for that range and I knew where to aim. I was just so suprised that everything came together and i managed to bag a beautiful cottontail with my revolver. It " drug " itself because the shock from the bullet temporarily paralized its back legs. Then it got up and ran the last couple yards before going down. The time from when it was hit to when it died was around 5 secs so I assure you it was quick and painless.

Capper, I am sorry about the grammer and I will work on it. I didnt know it bothered some people :haha: I was limited on time when I was writing my post today and didn't get time to proof read. So that's why it was extra bad.

To all of those consitering breaking out their side arms I please recommend you do ! It brings new meaning to being proud of your kill. I will be out there trying to get lucky enough to put more meat on the table with my 6 shooter. Cheers SS :thumbsup:

I'm half blind. It starts to run together with no paragraphs to break it up. Usually, I stop reading at that point, and i'd rather read it.

Anyway, the thread was fun for me. (breaks up the boredom)

Capper said:

OK. It's quoted.

So, what did cause it? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Lets play nice, kids. You wante speling? Read some of the olde diaries of 'ye forebearers of yefteryear. As Mark Twain said: "I have no respect for a man who can only spell a word oner way." This is conversational English. Like we talk. Incomplete sentences.

Heck, lokit Zonie! He made it through third grade and still misses on a few occasionally!

Stumpkiller said:
So, what did cause it? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I know I wouldn't blame my age, because i've always been this way. :idunno:

I'm a retired truck driver, I drive a lifted black Jeep, I own a pit bull, I kill for meat.

What did you expect? :rotf:

Josh Smith said:
Gents,

Small game does not always die as we would expect it to. Josh

I know, i missed a rabbit completely once with a 12ga. i cleaned it and it's heart had exploded, not a pellet wound on it, just gave it a heart attack from the shock. but then again, rabbits die easy.

Capper said:
I guess you forgot about his thread when he blasted a deer.
You're confusing him with someone else. And since you seem to have missed it, that fellow was largely exonerated - he was just excited when he made the original post.

You're right. They both have the same writing style, so I confused them. My bad.

Must be a new writing style they teach now. :idunno:

Capper said:
You're right. They both have the same writing style, so I confused them. My bad.

Always be sure of your backstop before squeezing the trigger. :nono:

You all fight like you're in kindergarten. Must be that "second childhood" thing :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Josh

CaptainKirk said:
Capper said:

Always be sure of your backstop before squeezing the trigger. :nono:

Sorry. Hair trigger.

Hey! At least I kept his thread at the top.

Capper said:
Here I go again, but I don't care.

You have three threads going right now, and everyone of them are annoying to read.

Don't they teach grammar in school anymore?
Your comment is rude and uncalled for. Usually I address these things in private, but I think this warrants a public statement from me.

If you are not interested in someone else's topic, please don't participate in it.

silent sniper said:
well i have been playing around lately with my dads italian 36 cal brass framed revolver that he bought years ago. and after todays hunt i am unofficially calling it my revolver from now on :rotf: i have been practicing with it lately at 15 to 35 yards. my load is 20 grains FFF, wonderwad, and a hornady .375 swaged roundball. at 15 yards i simply aim dead on. at 30+ yards i have to aim a few inches under my target sense it shoots high. well today i took my sister out and the rabbit dog to see if we could manage for my sister to get a rabbit with my navy arms double barrel 12 guage muzzleloader. i decided to take along the revolver just because it was loaded from checking traps this morning. well we jumped a couple rabbits but nothing was coming together.the weather wasnt the greatest and the rabbits were running into the holes instead of circling back around to us. well we were walking around a large brush patch when i saw a rabbit slowely run up the hill. i pulled up the revolver and hoped the rabbit would stop. well what do you know the rabbit stopped right there in the open. the shot was pretty far so i aimed a few inches under the rabbit and pulled the trigger. now i didnt actually think i would hit the rabbit, i just figured i might get lucky. well as the smoke cleared i saw the rabbit drop then slowly drag itself over the hill. i jumped up and down in excitment that i actually hit the rabbit. in my excitment as i went to run up to the rabbit i tripped and fell flat on my face :rotf: i quickly got up and ran over to where the rabbit was. i got there i looked over the hill to see the rabbit laying about 10 yards from where i shot it. there was even a trackable blood trail :haha: well i stepped it off and it was around a 40 yard shot !!! i was so awesome. i made an angling shot that got vitals. this has started a new addiction with blackpowder pistols. i will be out there packing the 6 shooter alot more now. this has been a very very fun and challanging hunt. cheers SS
961.jpg

851.jpg

You've caught the spirit in spades, and you're even helping your sister get in on the fun. May it continue for the rest of both your lives. My hat is off to you! :hatsoff:

Capper said:

I guess you forgot about his thread when he blasted a deer. You all jumped on him for that. I sort of saw the same thing here. He guessed at the elevation, and got lucky.

As for the grammar thing. Oh well. I hope you all had fun with me. It was fun seeing your personalities come out. Usually you're kind of hidden.

My grammar. Of course it stinks. I had to leave school in the 10th grade and go to work. I was a truck driver most of my life. I managed to make enough money to retire at 55. Even with my lousy grammar. I do know how to make a paragraph though.

So, to SS. You made a good shot, but I think it was a bit chancy. Practice up, and be a little more sure next time. I can remember when I was hunting at your age. It was hard to pass up any shot. So, I do understand.

When you make a post. Throw in a paragraph here and there. It makes it easier to read.

For the rest of you guys. You can untwist your panties now. :blah:

Uh, no, I never blasted the other kid for his story about the deer he shot. Get your facts straight.

Capper said:

You have three threads going right now, and everyone of them are annoying to read.

Weren't you ever tought , that if you can't say something nice....don't say Noth'n at all? :hmm:

:nono: "THE END"Merry xmas to all and to a good night. :blah: Griz

poordevil said:
Capper said:

Weren't you ever tought , that if you can't say something nice....don't say Noth'n at all? :hmm:

You mean like all the posts directed at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back