• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First chainfire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly true. No blood spilled, and all the little piggies came home.

A few years back, I was in a serious surplus 'com-block' phase. I acquired a Polish PPS-43. An open-bolt SMG design, converted to a closed bolt semi-auto pistol in 7.62x25mm. Had an out-of-battery detonation which sprayed burning powder and pieces of cartridge case into my supporting hand. Bad burn a plenty of bleeding, but happy to come home with thumb that day. My apologies for
:eek:ff

I had a first chain fire this week on an old Lyman Rem. New army. I only had three loaded and two fired. What a surprise. Sounded like a Hawken. I am glad you and revolver are not injured. My issue was flashover because to small RBs and no lube. I got some lubed wads as soon as possible.

Glad you are still mustering all ten piggies.

Show of hands: how many of you have experienced chainfires first hand? Any injuries?

Have had it happen to me 3 times, twice with a pietta Remington new model army, one with a pietta 1860. On the 1860 the ball left the chamber and hit the barrel wedge and you could see the powder residue along the side of the barrel. It actually put a light dent in the side of the wedge, causing me to now have to tap it in tighter to keep the barrel tight. No injuries which is a blessing, but still an unpleasant experience. I've never had a single shot chain fire on me though :)

3 TIMES? :shocked2: :shocked2:
The first time I would have said "what went wrong"
The second time "ok i'm doing something wrong"
but the third time..... :doh: :surrender:

Well, I admire a man that doesn't give up! :rotf:
Now that you've said it's never happened to you out loud, look out! :rotf:
My cousin had a Colt reproduction revolving rifle when we were kids and had a chain fire that blew lead slivers and powder into his hand and fingers. He said that was a mess for the emergency room to clean up to where he didn't get blood poisoning.

Fun, aren't they?

Once. In an El-cheapo brass framed Italian 1851 Navy back in 1976. Interestingly, it was the top and bottom cylinders. The bottom one really swaged itself in to the loading lever channel. The gun was pretty loose after that!

For those of you that have had chain fires....in order for the rest of us to try to make some conclusions...could you please give as many details as you recall? Thanks
Maybe some things:
1. First cylinder of the day or it happened after shooting a while. If first cylinder of the day did you dry fire caps on unloaded nipples to burn off grease?
2. How did you load? Powder, wad/no wad, ball (shave lead, loose), grease over ball, how well did caps fit?
3. Besides the chamber in battery- what were the locations of the other chambers that fired?
Thanks for any details :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
With both guns I was maybe 2-3 cylinders in. My load was 24 grains of goex fffg, felt wad, grease over the chamber mouths, and a remington #10 cap. I was using 451s for the both guns and both shaved a ring of lead when seated. Caps were tight. Both guns almost new, very tight, no cylinder end shake. On the remington, the chamber to the left of the firing chamber went off. For the colt, it was on the right side, and happened on the first shot. The second on the remington fired directly into the rammer, but didn't cause damage.

the chain fire I had I am sure was a case of ill fitting caps.
The balls all shaved a ring and the chambers were all toped with grease. The caps however were too big and had to be pinched substantially to be made to stay on the nipple.

An old Dragoon. 5 chambers all at once....Ever have to take a dental tool to a pistol to get the lead out of all the nooks and crannies forward of the cylinder? Yeah that was not a fun day. I must of stood there in stunned silence for a few seconds before I reacted.

First cylinder ever on a used, brass framed Remington.
25 grains FFFG
8 grains cream of wheat
Prelubed wad from Cabelas
.454 Hornady ball, all chambers shaved a ring nicely
Remaining capacity of chambers filled with bore butter
Number 11 Remington caps (pinched)

3rd chamber fired also fired the six o'clock chamber into the rammer. The ball deformed sufficiently to clear the cylinder, I did not even notice until I got a click rather than a bang on the sixth shot. Have not attempted since.

Well, looks like everybody had tight fitting/shaved lead with grease over the ends and a couple pinched on the caps. Pinched caps seems to be a definite cause. The tight caps- shaved lead situation- that's the unknown event that always baffles me. There have been other cases where everything seems to have been done right and still a chain firing- the great "unknown".

Back