• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First deer with a Muzzleloader.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I remember a special hunt with a black powder rifle.
It was in Cherokee County, Oklahoma. I took an old friend with me. His name is Dad, and I had built him a 45 cal. CVA percussion rifle from a kit that I had taken in trade. Now Dad had not hunted deer before and was lacking in the ability to scout for a good place for a blind or stand. Bear in mind Dad was approx: 72 yrs old at the time. I spent a day with him scouting a wound up giving him my spot for a ground blind. I told him that I had seen several deer using two trails that crossed approx 30 yds in front of his blind. I left him there the morning of opening day. I went to a tree approx 3 hundred yds south overlooking a small pond and feeding area.
I was up in the tree for approx 4 hrs, when I heard noises coming from behind the tree. I slowly turned and much to my surprise there was Dad pissing on the base of my tree. I spoke to him and I thought that he was going to have a heart attack, he jumped so hard. He didn't know that I was up in the tree.
He said that he had not seen any deer and was needing to relieve himself. He left and wandered down an old dirt yard, working his way back to his pickup truck.
I walked back to where I had placed him early that morning. I found a lot of candy wrappers and cigarette butts. I remained there for approx 30 minutes. I noticed a 6 pt buck slowly walking my way on the trail. I raised the 50 cal. Lyman Plains Rifle and shot him thru the lungs at a distance of 25 yds. He ran approx: 50 yds and folded up.
Went to Dad's pickup and told him that I had a buck down. I drove back to the area and we walked to his old morning stand and retrieved the buck.
Needless to say, Dad stayed put on his stands from then on. He took a small buck on a later hunting trip to the same area. He was very proud of his first deer and would go hunting anytime, any weather. He was hooked on deer hunting.
Was glad that I took my Dad hunting. Made for some good memories.

Thats a great story.Nothing better than spending time in the outdoors with family.

Back