• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flint Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today was the opener of the third turkey season in MN. Due to work schedule, I could only hunt this weekend and with more thunderstorms forecast to move in Sunday afternoon, I figured I'd really only have 1 1/2 days.

Unlike the first two seasons which were plagued with freezing rain, rain, and snow, it dawned clear and mid 40's...perfect. I had set a couple of blinds a week ago and set out for one where I saw three Jakes move toward yesterday evening. Those three had actually paraded around 20 yards in front of the house on our lease for several minutes as I watched from the enclosed porch!

It was a perfect sunrise except for one thing...no turkey's gobbling! I think the hard winter here took it's toll. This time of year I would normally see large flocks in open fields with several toms courting the ladies, but this year that is not the case.

After a couple hours I saw the three Jakes (I assume they were the same ones from yesterday evening) working their way down a field road about 400 yards away. I gave a few loud, excited yelps but they just continued on down the road and out of sight. Then about 5 minutes later they came at a run across the huge field and disappeared behind a large berm about 40 yards away. I gave a few soft calls and I could see a head pop up every now and then. Finally, they headed toward the two decoys I had out about 20 yards in front of me. I pulled the cock back to the "ready" position and put the sight on the lead bird.

At 18 yards the Virginia Smoothrifle sent the load of #6's on it's way. The bird dropped right there....as did one of my decoys! I was able to resuscitate my decoy with the only ill effects being a slight "rattle" in it's head when I shake it! :grin: Perfect end to a beautiful spring morning.

Thats a nice looking bird! how much did he weigh? And Btw, you have a very nice looking smoothie there!.

armakiller said:
Thats a nice looking bird! how much did he weigh? And Btw, you have a very nice looking smoothie there!.

Thanks for the compliment on the smoothie. I didn't think I was going to be able to use her for turkey as I sent the lock off to Brad Emig after squirrel season to see what magic he could do with it to make it spark better/more consistently. But it came back a couple weeks ago sparking very well and I was able to get a load worked up for out to 25 yards. So my percussion SxS stayed in the gun safe as I really wanted to get a turkey with the flintlock smoothie. Don't know what it is with flinters, but my percussions are already gathering dust.

I didn't weigh the bird. He did have a 4" beard, which isn't bad for a Jake. Got a couple really nice breast fillets and some chunky drumsticks and thighs in the freezer.

Spike, that's outstanding...and the first anything with a Flintlock always seems special...congratulations !
:hatsoff:

PS:
Same thing happened to me once I took my first game with a Flintlock, everything else became ho-hum...eventually I sold off / replaced all caplock calibers / gauges with Flintlocks

That's Awesome! Great hunt!:thumbsup:
The rewards of the close encounter with flint are lasting! :grin:
Thanks for sharing....dan

majg1234 said:
nice fowler

The gun is actually a smooth rifle in .62 cal. I have found I like it's "feel" better than a fowler. It is a bit heavier than a typical fowler. It has a 42" swamped octagon barrel and all the normal features of a rifle including a cheek piece and rear sight. It was built by George Rasche (Indiana) and is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

Congratulations on the fine bird.
Having properly blooded the fine gun with a grand turkey,
all I can say is.
Welcome to the brotherhood.
Taking a turkey with a flintlock is MAGIC.

Pat Cameron

Latest posts

Back