• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First flintlock Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swinehart

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been hunting with the Renegade during the WI regular gun deer season for three years now. I got a doe the first year, a miss the second year and now on the seventh day of the 2013 season this buck.

It has been kinda cold this year and I even skipped a few days of hunting cause I can't take it like I used to.

50 cal Thompson Center Renegade, 80 grains of FFF, a fiber wad, patched round ball (pre lubed patch touched up with some bear grease) FFF in the pan.

I had many layers of clothes on and gloves inside of mitts with a hand warmer in each one.

Deer came down the trail I was watching at 4 PM. I pulled the mitt off my hand with my teeth and cocked the rifle as the deer got closer. I saw it was a small buck and raised the rifle as it stopped 30 yards away. I had so many clothes on I couldn't get the gun raised up high enough to line up the sights. It seemed forever as I was trying to get the sights lined up and then on the deer, which was still standing there looking at me.

It was mostly facing my but slightly turned to its right. I took the shot and the deer stumbled a bit as it turned and ran full blast into the balsams and black spruce.

I found blood at the first jump and decided to follow the trail a little way to see how much of a blood trail was visible.

The deer had piled up just beyond where I had last seen it running.

I didn't want to walk out too early cause my son was hunting about 1/2 mile away but near where I would travel so I took my time dressing it out and dragging it to the nearest woods road.

The ball had entered in front of the left shoulder and stopped in the right front leg. Must have worked its way out cause I didn't find it.

Now comes the fun of cutting it up and getting it in the freezer.

Congrats on your first flintlock buck. I also took my first flintlock buck this season so I know how you feel.

Excellent job! I hope you didn't chip a tooth on your cock jaw! Having all those clothes on can really be a pain, eh?

:hatsoff: Congratulations!

Nice buck. A first is always special.
Silex

A fine little buck.
It will look great mounted beside some
mashed potatoes and vegetables with some gravy on top.

PJC

We had -4 the second morning of the 9 day gun season here at my place. I stayed in the house.
The Friday I shot the deer it was in the teens with some wind. Temp dropped a bit while I was in the stand.
I used to be able to sit in a tree during cold snaps but can't anymore.
Don't know if it is because of my open heart surgery a year and 3 months ago or just getting closer to the age of 65. New mechanical valve is ticking along OK so must be getting smarter.

Thanks for the comments. Deer were a little harder to find this year.
My son shot an 11 pointer with an 18 inch inside spread.

Congratulations on your first!..
Its been a cool regular gun season here in Wisconsin.

Latest posts

Back