• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flintlock Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horace

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I killed my first deer with a flintlock. It was a 100 lb doe. Not much mut a good start. Unfortunately I shot high, but fortunately it achored her to the spot. Luck.

Way to go Mule...sounds like all the studying and practicing paid off when flint struck steel!
:thumbsup:

Sounds like what I did two weeks ago. Shot high, but it anchored her on the spot. Doe about 100 lbs. Except it was my second with the flintlock. fifteen years apart. Too long without a kill.
God bless.
volatpluvia

I know what you mean about how good it feels when all the practice pays off. I shot on the range for 2 years with my longrifle before I finally got my first flintlock deer. It just happened to be my first deer ever and was an 8 point buck. I almost stopped hunting right there 'cause it seems that things could only go down hill from there. :winking:

I hope this is the first of several. I am headed up to Virginia for their muzzleloading season for 10 days of hunting. I am taking the flinter.

Got my frist deer today with flintlock also 4 point mule deer are 8 point if your counting all

Way to go Ron! Here in Michigan we count all the points.Yeah I know western is half the rack. :) Rocky

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

I'll be tryin' to do likewise in about 2 weeks.

Jethro

Mule Skinner, I'm green with envy :bow: . I've gone a couple of years with my flinter and missed both years. I can hardly wait for the gun season this year. I'm determined! A 100 lb doe would suit me fine. You can't eat them horns!

=================
Soaring Spirit
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.

RON Vaughn said:
Got my frist deer today with flintlock also 4 point mule deer are 8 point if your counting all

Ron, that's great...a special feeling for sure...congratulations!

Stumpkiller said:
It's my opinion that you should never belittle a kill, or yourself for taking the shot. Whether it's huge or small, it's still a trophy. That doe gave all she had.

That a good way to look at it Stumpy...
:hatsoff:

Way to go, Mule Skinner. :thumbsup: My first prb deer was a 100 lb. doe taken with the then-new .54 GPR in '03. Had some excellent tenderloins, backstrap, and summer sausage. That was the last deer I took :( Hope to rectify that in the next week or two :winking:

Latest posts

Back