• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flintlock Recommendation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewing6003

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Got approval from "She who must be obeyed" to get my first flintlock.

Recommendations for a first flinter? I have been shooting caplocks and C&B revolvers for over 15 years and I figure its about time to go flint.

Heck, I will try near anything that makes smoke!

I like my T/C Hawken flinter. I also have a percussion of the same model. They are very accurate due to the not P.C. adjustable sights.

I like my T/C Hawken flinter. I also have a percussion of the same model. They are very accurate due to the not P.C. adjustable sights.

I'll more than second that...plus FYI, TC redesigned their flintlock assemblies just a few years ago and they're outstanding...have a few I shoot year round...really a lot of quality for the money, with a true lifetime warranty second to none...enjoy!

That would depend on what she is willing to let you spend and how serious you want to get into this flintlock addiction. If you're sure this is where you want to go and are willing to spend some serious money, then a custom rifle would be the way to go.

If you want something that you do not have to wait six months for to be built, and will not cost you an arm and leg, but will get you shooting and shooting well, then a T/C Hawkins Flintlock or Lyman product is a good way to go and still not break the bank.

There is a Tradition's Flintlock for sale right now at TOTW for I think it was like $140.00. I wonder about what kind of shape the rifle is in for that kind of money. Something to look at, but this is like near the bottom of the line for what you want.

I bought a .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle a little over a month ago and could not be happier with the lock time and the way the rifle shoots... I was out shooting it again today. Flintlocks have got me hooked now too.. :thumbsup:

I'm in the same boat as you but am just getting started with muzzleloaders. I just asked the same question and the answers came back Thompson or Lyman.

I shot my cousin's Thompson percussion and it was a great gun. I also paid a visit to Dixon's and looked at the Lyman line. Recommendations were for the GPR or Trade rifle. Personally, after shouldering the guns, I'm partial to the trade rifle since it is a shorter barrel (28" vs 32").

Whatever you do, check out Midsouth Shooters Supply. From what I've seen, they have the best prices on new guns.

:m2c:

Best of luck,
Bison

D&R Sports is where I bought my flintlock Trade Rifle in .54 caliber.

Their prices do not make a lot of sense sometimes. I think I gave around $240.00 for it.... Great rifle!

I've dealt with Midsouth Shooters Supply and have nothing but praise for this company. Very friendly and helpful.

I think that you'll find that as for production guns the best percussion manufacturers probably make the best flinters, too.

I think the best flintlock for the money is the T/C Renegade. I got a .58 caliber Renegade from Fox Ridge Outfitters through a local dealer and saved about $80+ shipping by not ordering directly from FRO. Now the lowest price you'll find on a really good flinter is either the Lyman Trade Rifle or the Cabela's Hawken.

I think the T/C is by far the better deal. It's American made and has the best warranty there is. :m2c:

JR,

I recognize that I am going against the grain here, but...

You are not new to shooting black powder and should look for a semi-custom gun if you can manage it. TVM (Avance), TVM (Garner), Jackie Brown, or a host of others can give you a nice fullstock flinter at a fair price. There are also guns from all of these companies available from vendors and on the used gun resources. Look around. Where are you? You might take a field trip up to the Corinth/Walnut, MS area and tour the 3 shops that are within 32 miles of each other.

Something to consider in making a selection is what style and period hold your interest. Are you in the Rev War, F&I or Civil War areas? (Yes, your name and capnball history are clues)

The earlier guns would still have been in use later, but you cannot work it the other way round. I would not get a halfstock as my only ML rifle as it is quite limiting. If I were starting out again today, I would get some early style of a Southern rifle in flint.

I started out building kits that others had selected and then moved into percussion target shooting and finally went to flint re-enacting and hunting. I have a collection (the wife calls it a bundle) of ML guns now. Life is rough. :)

YMHS,
CrackStock

Latest posts

Back