• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzy Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Martian. :grin: Congratulations. Yep, the fun stops and the work starts when you pull the trigger.

Is that a Roosevelt elk? Wouldn't know one if I saw one. Bill

That will be some good eating no doubt. I just pulled out some cow back strap for tomorrow. Not much beats a good elk steak.

Congratulations! Thanks for posting the story. Too bad you didn't find the cat. It happens.

Just a heads up:

Anyone that likes ribs will do themselves a big favor to lug out their elk ribs. The two sides make a pretty stout load, but if you're really herky you can sandwich a shoulder between them before lashing down to your back board. In my youth I sandwiched both shoulders between the two sides, and even downhill that load liked to killed me with on a 3-mile pack. These days I just carry the two sides and make a separate trip for the two shoulders.

On horseback we split Rocky Mountain elk lengthwise in halves, then make a cut between the last two ribs. That's about right for a balance point. Lift the side onto the horse inside down, and pass the saddlehorn through the slit between the ribs. Lash it down. The cut helps keep the load from shifting and lets us bring out the ribs and all else. It's too much of a load with Roosevelt elk, at least in terms of a couple of guys being able to lift a half onto a dancer.

Elk ribs, however you fix them, will put beef and pork to sad shame.

HORSES???
Just joshin' BB, if I'da had horses, I'da used them. We used to split the carcass down the spine, and then cut across at the fourth rib. I could, in my youth, carry out two front quarters or one hind quarter in one trip. Some times when there was a lot of uphill just one front.
THose were the days!!

Nice elk.....also nice looking sling on the Lyman. Homemade? or storebought?

Great job. I would love to switch to muzzleloader for elk, but can't put down the bow.

I'll chime in to answer the Roosevelt question. He says in the opening post it was a spike only hunt in Eastern Washington. That means it's a Rocky Mountain elk. Rosies are West side only, Rockies East side only. We have different seasons and different antler restictions for the two sides of the state.

The sling is store bought. Picked it from a company advertised in Muzzleloder Magazine.The Leatherman,BLACKPOWDERBAGS.COM. Works just fine easy on and off. I think it is called a european sling?

Yes thats correct. This Elk is of the Rockey Mt variety. Killed in a spike only unit in Eastern Wa. Not as big as a Roosevelt but my shoulders still say plenty BIG on the old pack frame. LOL

Back