• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Noggin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsRoamer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well here it is made it from a sugar maple burl
0500BEB6-5AE0-4239-9A62-D793AFF48191_zpsszlw3jb3.jpg

34F177DB-90F5-4CB9-9F48-C76A3B167F3E_zpsimvk6uis.jpg

1502E594-EC48-43A5-9C4C-3B5C297172C1_zpsfkjqu65a.jpg

1B88603C-6E9E-4C48-A99F-6258FC213391_zpsz8sgzsdy.jpg

Very nice pattern to the wood! Also, looks like you cut you hand while carving :shocked2:

Yeah I got a hook knife for Christmas and this was my first project with it and I sorta gouged a piece of my hand with it :redface: . I've been debating to put a lanyard on it or not. If I do I might also make the bowl bigger since it only holds a little over 1/3 cup of liquid.

Heck Roamer, A little DNA signature is required on just about all my projects :wink: .
Nice job on the noggin.
Ron

Yeah same here that was actually the second time I cut myself on this project the first time was on the knuckle of my right index finger.

that's pretty cool looking work. suffice it to say that it's a boatload easier to get bloodstains into a bit of wood than it is to get them out (which never really works, anyway -- don't ask me how I know...)
:redface: :redface: :redface:

I usually don't have problems getting blood on projects because I don't bleed for a couple seconds after cutting myself. I was told it was because of high clotting factors or something like that.

WoodsRoamer said:
Yeah I got a hook knife for Christmas and this was my first project with it and I sorta gouged a piece of my hand with it :redface: . I've been debating to put a lanyard on it or not. If I do I might also make the bowl bigger since it only holds a little over 1/3 cup of liquid.

I once tried making a noggin from a burl using a high speed hand grinder with a rotary file. Whole thing suddenly went WHOOPS and I nearly lost the end of my pinkie finger. As mangled as it was I am amazed it healed back to normal. Tether is handy for walking around camp. Never know when someone will offer a beverage. BTW, I have never found a finish that is satisfactory. Bare wood is best, really only way to go.

I usually only rub my wood projects down in vegetable oil a couple of times. Find it protects and brings the grain out with out making it shiny.

Back