• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First post: Confederate 'sharpshooter's' rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This rifle was in my dad's collection when he passed away last year. Some members may have known him. I'll be happy to respond to such inquiries privately. For now, I would like to share this rifle: It, and (3) others, were made by a Limestone, AL gunsmith in 1862. They were presented to the '17th Alabama Sharpshooters'. Those units were almost 100% composed of Cherokee enlistees. Comments welcomed.
View attachment 1000002764.jpgView attachment 1000002763.jpg
View attachment 1000002771.jpgView attachment 1000002772.jpgView attachment 1000002643.jpgView attachment 1000002640.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003859.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Very interesting rifle with all of the decorations and tacks. They fit with the history of it.

That is so interesting and remarkable piece of history!
Note the front sight- had it been a contemporary build, I would have said the front sight is on backwards!!!!
Very good teaching tool here.

Attachments

• IMG_2713.jpeg
    IMG_2713.jpeg
    884.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2714.jpeg
    IMG_2714.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for posting the pics and also sorry to hear about your father. Those are certainly very nice arms with a fascinating history. I hope someone has documented the history of the Sharpshooter Unit also.

This rifle was in my dad's collection when he passed away last year. Some members may have known him. I'll be happy to respond to such inquiries privately. For now, I would like to share this rifle: It, and (3) others, were made by a Limestone, AL gunsmith in 1862. They were presented to the '17th Alabama Sharpshooters'. Those units were almost 100% composed of Cherokee enlistees. Comments welcomed.
View attachment 338328View attachment 338329
View attachment 338324View attachment 338325View attachment 338326View attachment 338327
Be prepared for there will be guys wanting the full specs in order to copy one!! Nice!

Don't just jump at any chance to sell it; be prepared to offer research, etc., and if it's ever sold, should go thru a major auction house that often sells rare guns and Civil War items. Could be worth a goodly amount, and not in Confederate Money!

Thanks for posting the pics and also sorry to hear about your father. Those are certainly very nice arms with a fascinating history. I hope someone has documented the history of the Sharpshooter Unit also.
The rosters of the Alabama Sharpshooters are, fortunately, well-documented, especially their Cherokee lineage.

Good that the Ala. Sharpshooters are documented, the Cherokee is great, too! Wonder if there's any contemporary references to the rifle, to tie it in other than oral history? I believe if nothing, the copper star with the large tacks will be copied by someone; it has a certain charm to it!!

Latest posts

Back