• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burningprince

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This was my first rifle,Before i actually held or even saw an original or professional piece.so fire away with your critiques and comments.
069.jpg

083.jpg

081.jpg

076.jpg

075.jpg

Thank you Mike,I appreciate your input.I will inlet that to rectify my mistake.I'm still learning alot about historical firearms and their architecture.

Well i completed this rifle back in November.It shoots like a dream!I'm in love with flintlocks now.

Looks like you rear entry pipe is a little proud. I did the same thing on my first build. I inletted it into the wood and thought I had enough wood for rounding off the fore stock. By the time I got the tool marks out and belly rounded I was out of wood, had a little of my entry pipe above the level of the wood.

I'll say you did a great job on your first build.
Not having handled any originals would make it
challenging. I'm in the process of having my stock rough shaped and barrel inlet for my first build. I've had the advantage of looking and holding hundreds of originals over the last year and a half. You really know what you like when you see so many of them. Don't know where you are
in WV, but in Clintonville PA just above Emlenton
the Fire dept is having a gun show this Sat and Sun. Last year there were 25 or so originals there. It might be worth a drive to check it out.
Nice Work.

I'll check that out suzcat. Thanks for all the comments and input. I'll know what not to do or change on my next build.

For a first build you did darm good. :thumbsup:

Besides whats already been pointed out, I have to ask, why the screws in the trigger guard? It would have looked much better if it were pinned.

Well to be completely honest i didn't know i was not supposed to use screws.Another mistake i will correct in future projects.

Boy am I!! :thumbsup: I did inlet the trigger guard,As soon as my girl gets back she will take a pic and i will post the fix.She loves to take the photos lol.

Mike Brines said:
TB, you shouldn't hit yourself like that! Might loosen what's already loose. :rotf:

:rotf: Good one ,except I'm the guy on the left. :haha:
Twice

Pinning the guard is cleaner but using a screw on the rear of the guard is not uncommon thru most of the schools of the last quarter of the 18th century the use of a front screw couild be an issue with the lock,RR with anything but a short screw pinning also left a better surface on the guard for fine extensive metal engraving many simple French hunting guns used screws on both ends but went to pins if a lot of engraving was to be done on the guard, where it could be done wiyth out itnerference the use of screws may have been a cost saver on some guns I do not which is more cost effective

I think you did fine and ended up with a nice gun. The little problems mentioned can be corrected and your next build will be really nice.

We all learn things the hard way but you did a fine job.
Keep on keepin on! :idunno:
Dusty :wink:

Latest posts

Back