• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First smooth bore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Brooks

Cannon
Reaction score
I'll go first. :winking:
Mine was a original 3rd model brown bess. dated 1827 on the lockplate. It was about .80 caliber and shot a .760 round ball with 95gr of 2ff. Literally knocked my hat off every time I shot it. I could keep up with rifles with it out to about 50 yards....then there was no tellin' where it shot.... :rotf:
I boought it for $220, had it for about 5 years and like an idiot, sold it for $500. :youcrazy:

My first was an old Pomeroy contract 1816 musket converted to perc.for which I had paid about $35.00 This was the early 60's and I didn't know beans about such guns.I poured about 60 grains of powder down the bore followed by a small wad of kleenex then poured a bunch of BB's and some more kleenex tamped down well.Then I pulled the trigger and it got a halfway decent pattern out to about 25 yards.I sold the gun right after that so I never fired any balls.I think I sold it for $50.00.That was then and this is now.Eh,Mike.
Tom Patton

My first will be a copy of the "Wilson's Chiefs Gun" that will be finished in the next week or so.

Regards, Dave

Navy Arms 1763 Charleville in kit form.
Sometime in the 80's, 14" of the barrel seems to have disappeared...don't know how that happened.
Great gun, reliable, shoots well, just too damn straight of a stock for complete comfort.
Jack

Mine was a Pedersolli Brown Bess that I traded for. It was actually my first muzzleloader and not knowing any better,I shot that thing all the time. Took 9 deer with it before the "experts" told me that smoothbores don't shoot worth a damn! I've been hooked on smoothbores ever since.[Mike, I'll try to refrain from calling them "smoothies" since every time I do,you always mention that you like strawberry! :rotf:] I now have 8 smoothbores, both trade gun and smooth rifles. :thumbsup: Pathfinder

I still have my first smoothbore, an 8g sxs that is supposed to be circa 1856ish. Bought it about 15 years ago.
8gleft.jpg

8gtop.jpg

I am still waiting for my first single barrel flint smoothie (someday)

Cody

Pathfinder; my first smoothbore was also a Pedersoli Brown Bess. Being "unenlightened" at the time , I only used it as a shotgun, and it worked great all the way out to 40 yards or so with about 1 1/2 oz. of shot and 90 to 100 grains of 2F. I only shot 5 or 6 patched ball loads through it-they shot low and I never persued the matter. I was dumb then. The lock sparked great and it was the only gun other than a .22 that I shot for two years (and I shoot a lot). Question: how was the terminal performance of the musket balls, and what ranges have you gotten deer at ? I have gotten several deer over the years, and shoot my smoothbores all the time, but have never shot a deer with one. -Smoothshooter

Mime was a used NW gun by North Starr West, I saw a guy on the internet who wanted to sell it and was also looking for a LGP I had a LGP I had put together from a kit, he suggested a straight across trade, I like the LGP but could not pass on the trade.

Mine was a .62 cal French trade gun that I assembled from a Mold and Gun shop kit. I sold it last year because it didn't seem to fit my persona as far as reenacting goes but like most I've regretted selling it. I believe they referred to it as the type "D".

A Belgian nipple double in something around 14 ga. I too confess for being an idiot when I sold it, was light and beautiful to handle afield, Damn, I wish you hadn't brought back old memories.

Mine was an Italian made Short Land Pattern Brown Bess. I had it worked over by Kit Ravenshear to look more like a cut down Long Land Pattern. It was an excellent gun and I wish I still had it.

Used NWTG which I believe is from a TOW kit. Put a rear sight on it and is my hunting gun, or should I say would be if there was anything around here to hunt! NO deer, no partridge, no nothing :(

Navy Arms 20 double barrel with bores rough as a cob. Kicked like a mule! Never tried roundball out of it.

First was a T/C New Englander .12 that came with a .50 cal barrel too. Then a CVA Trapper, a Navy Arms double barrel .12 ga, a used North Star West Early english .20 ga flinter, a Track of the Wolf NW Tradegun in .20 ga. then a Pedersoli Brown Bess carbine.

Mine was a Pedersoli Short Land Pattern Brown Bess.
I had alot of fun with this smooth bore.But I sold it for a Henry Rifle 44/40.Know I sold the Henry to get the money for a Tulle Fusil de chasse.
THAT was in ' ORDER ' from my General, ah wife.When you want a new gun sold in old one. :(
Well gentlemen , in order is in order. :shocked2:

mine was a 69cal .they called it the minute man musket i believe .dont remember who made it but sure had fun with it .that was sometime around 1982 or 83 i think.
curt

Hey Smoothshooter, Good thing we didn't know any better about our Bess's! The longest shot was @ 60 yds or so, and most were in the 40-50 yd range.All the balls went through the deer,legs shoulders,didn't matter how many bones they hit,they went clean through. :shocked2: The biggest was a doe that dressed out at 210lbs! She was hit high in the lungs at @ 40yds and she went a good 100 yds before I found blood. That was the first time hunting with the Bess and I've been hooked ever since :)

Pathfinder

Jackie Brown built me a fusil de chasse in 20 gauge.
This is one of my favorite guns, but I have not managed to take a deer with it yet.

CS

My first was a Pedersoli perc. 12 ga. double gun. And I'm not sorry I sold it. I wanted to wave a magic wand and turn it into a flint double. But I couldn't find the magic wand.

I do currently have a Caywood Wilson 20 ga. tradegun for which I wiil absolutely refuse any and all offers of cheap rum in trade. I like that gun.

Cruzatte

Back