• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first squirrels of the season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer flinter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
squirrelhunt109-19-13_zpsd9d561d8.jpg
squirrelhunt809-19-13_zpsddc81199.jpg
Hey everyone, I had a good morning out with my 45 cal frontier rifle two shots and two dead aberts squirrels. man they taste good. good hunting and God bless.

Never saw squirrels that color befor.
Around here we only have Fox & Gray ones.

Congratulations! Never seen squirrels that color before. I was in San Diego last summer and seen some that had spots. I took some pictures.People looked at me like I was crazy. :rotf:

Good work, congratulations !
:thumbsup:
(when I saw the first photo, I thought you were holding a SxS double)

thank you all for your comments. these squirrels are beautiful they are also called tassel eared squirrels they can be as large as a large fox squirrel. they are very good eating. I was raised in southern Iowa and have eating a lot of fox squirrels, I think these aberts taste better. I think the reason you thought my frontier was a SxS is I made peep sights for all my muzzleloaders. they sure help with the aging eyes.
with that peep sight and 25 gr. of 2f 777 it will put 5 roundballs through the same hole at 25 yards. any way you all take care. shoot straight and God bless.

Excellent job. I did the double-take like roundball when it appeared like the gun was double hammered...just gotta look at pic #21! .45's can do the job just fine!! :hatsoff:

Yep, the peep sight fooled me too. Great shooting and very interesting squirrels. I bet they did taste good.

Really good job. You got me jealous. I like looking for Abert's but they seem to take me about 10 miles of hiking for each on I find.

Tomorrow morning I'm off with my .45 Blue Ridge flintlock for turkey and Abert's

Warmest Regards,
Robert

Just for chuckles, here is the only one I took last year.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

Just out of curiosity, how many squirrels you guys get in a season?
I got as little as 8 and as much as 20 , depending on the alignment of planets and such.
I already got 29 with the rifle I made over a year ago.

Back