• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time using Fowler for Pheasant Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muggsy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've thumbed through many pages on this site, and I'm still a bit confused and hopefully someone can help. I'm going on a pheasant hunt and decided to take my Fowler out and use it for its real purpose. I've never used shot in a muzzleloader and need some advice on how to load. I've read where people are using powder, then a wad, shot, and over-shot wad. What kind of wad should serparate the powder and shot? I've read where the shot should be in a cup- will a modern plastic cup from shotgun shells work? and what kind of over-shot wad is correct?

I know its all personal preference, just looking for some good advice to start with. I see many thicknesses of wadding, and cardboard wads... etc.

Thanks

Ed

Circle Fly makes all the wads you will need. For traditional loads you will need powder, 2f or 3f will both work, an over powder wad, which is a thick paper type wad, a fiber cushion wad, i have found that splitting them in half gives a better pattern and you get twice as many for your money that way. I also glue the cusion wad to the overpowder wad with a small dab of Elmers glue before i lube the cushion wad. I use melted Crisco for this. This saves one step in the loading process. Then your shot. Start with the same volume of shot as powder (ie) if you set your powder measurer for 80 grs of powder, use the same setting for the shot. You may find that a little more shot than powder tightens your pattern. Then a thin overshot wad which is about the thickness of a paper milk carton. You can use a .20 ga. plastic shotcup in it if you want. I normally use an overpowder wad under it for a better gas seal. Then the shot and overshot wad. Hope this helps. Good luck and good shooting.

Thanks for the info ! I went to Circle Fly's website and found it very informative- I will call and order from them. Wish me luck- I can't wait to load up and hit the fields the old fashioned way.

I wish we had more pheasants around here to hunt. I do like eating pheasant. So does the wife. Would be fun to try them with the .20 ga. N.W. Tradegun.

V M Starr did the work on this, he found that all you need between powder and shot is a card, the shot obturates instantly to fill the bore, I've tried it, it works.

If you use a wad it's to carry something damp to keep the fouling soft, when not testing Starr I always use a wad.

I prefer pre-lubed felt wads, the kind that smell of oil of wintergreen, if they aren't available I use Circle Fly, I put them in a zip top polythene bag the night before with a dollop of Murphy's Oil Soap and water. Come the morning it will be evenly distributed and everything will be nice and soft.

I did try putting a squirt of solution down the bore after the wad, thinking it would soften the fouling after a lengthy clay busting session, but it didn't. Don't know why.

If it's a damp morning and you're shooting flint, plug the touch before ramming, otherwise the blast of air coming out the touch will chill your pan and you will get lots of condensation right where you don't want it.

A nick somewhere on the rim of your overshot card will let the air out as it goes down, without that, some cards can push the rammer back out when you let go.

If it's percussion, be sure to pop a cap before you load, put the muzzle by a blade of grass and make sure it twitches to show the flash channel is clear.

You could have a lot more luck dropping those pheasant if you spent some time on the pattern plate developing a load that suits the gun. Once you get the pattern, shoot into a wedge of junk mail to make sure you have the penetration at distance. You knew it had to be useful for something :D

PS: Shot cups are for people who shoot Pyrodex. Whatever floats your stick I guess :shocking:

"PS: Shot cups are for people who shoot Pyrodex." :says:

How did you know that i shoot Pyrodex in my double barrel .12 ga. caplock Robin? And is there some PROBLEM with doing this? He asked for methods that work, they work. I said it may not be PC, but it will help improve the pattern. I also mentioned paper shotcups, which a lot of people have no problem with.

Oops! :shocking:

I thought that was pretty good for one o'clock in the morning, the merest hint of a chide, hardly likely to ruffle any feathers.

I am much less diplomatic at 8:50 am before I have drunk tea, so I'm saying nuthin' :crackup:

Robin, i am drinking my Tea right now, and have also calmed down some. I guess i just took it wrong. Sorry for the strong reply. Take care.

HAAA!!!! i to shoot pyrodex in my old breech loaders with paper shells ?????? someone got a problem with the "PUFF PUFF"
knight.gif
do ya HU!!! "PUFF PUFF""
:crackup: :relax:
i dont use a cushin most times and have found that using two over the powder cards the secound one soaked in spit "
gives very good patterns in my english fowler

If you are looking for various tested loads and suggestions for LEAD and STEEL shot look for the T/ C Traditional ML manual available free from T/C with recommendations for types of game to shoot and it even has pictures.
Also

One Green Mountain 62. cal smoothbore dropped onto my 54 cal Renegade cost 199 dollars complete from Green Mountain Barrel.

90grns Goex FFFg

Two .62cal (.20ga) Oxyoke wonder wads
1+1/2 oz #6's
One .62cal (.20ga) Oxyoke wonder wads
One CCI magnum #11

Went to pattern the gun and after one shot was headed for the Trap house.

Trap shooting with a cap lock and some of the guys at the club watching. So I have witnesses.

So much for the slow ignition of Tripl7

Can

If you want to use shot cups, get a dowel a bit smaller than the bore and wrap a piece of brown paper bag around it and glue the bottom.
Up here in Maine we use hornets nest for over powder wadding and over shot. I've taken pheasant with a .20 ga. 70 gr 3f with 70 gr #6 shot.
Good luck! Nit Wit :m2c: ::

Hey Rebel, You should have seen the Willamette valley and its pheasants in the 60's and early 70's before all the fence rows were taken out to make bigger fields and the soil bank set aside program was canceled, it was wingshooting paradise...never did try a fronstuffer for them back then though.

TG, yea i hear it used to be great pheasant hunting in the Valley. Sure wish they had more of them around here. I would like to try for some with both the Tradegun and the double barrel.

Latest posts

Back