• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Traditional Kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

32 Cal
Reaction score
I started hunting with an inline muzzleloader nearly 20 years ago and went to a smokeless muzzleloader about 10 years ago, and now I’m finally coming around to traditional muzzleloading. To dip my toe into the pool without going all in, I bought a Traditions DeerHunter 50 cal off another message board for a $100, and I really like the little gun. The first load I tried was one 50 gr Pyrodex pellet and a 250 gr SST, and even with the tiny sights, I rang the 50 yard gong with the first shot. I kind of thought it might be a fluke, so I tried it again and rang the gong. I decided to try some old 245 gr PowerBelts that haven’t shot well in any gun I’ve owned, and I rang the gong with them too.
I took the gun to our family Christmas get together at my Mothers (really just to show it off), and while my brother and I were out on the porch frying fish for lunch, I saw a group of pigs down in the pasture. I decided to try to get into range for a shot, and after a 500 yard stalk, I was able to take a 70 yard shot and dropped a little boar. I aimed a little high since I had only checked zero on the sights at 50 yards, but I hit him in the spine right where I was aiming. I had to finish him with my pistol thus the head wound.
09EE0222-E49B-4E4A-8BCF-471C0E9E4E90.jpeg

Glad you're here. Good stories and good storytellers are in short supply. Nicely done.

Looks something like my neck of the woods in TN there....Sure don't look like the Piney Woods. My people are from Nacogdoches County

Last edited:
Welcome. You'll be hooked now! Congrats on your first kill with a sidelock. :thumb:

We can't really talk about SST's and Powerbelts with their plastic "thingies" on this forum. But soon you'll be shooting patched round balls or hand cast all lead conicals anyway now that you've started down the path to the dark side. ;):D

Glad you're here. Good stories and good storytellers are in short supply. Nicely done.

Looks something like my neck of the woods in TN there....Sure don't look like the Piney Woods. My people are from Nacogdoches County
I’m in Nacogdoches county.
Welcome. You'll be hooked now! Congrats on your first kill with a sidelock. :thumb:

We can't really talk about SST's and Powerbelts with their plastic "thingies" on this forum. But soon you'll be shooting patched round balls or hand cast all lead conicals anyway now that you've started down the path to the dark side. ;):D
My plan is to start casting my own bullets soon. I bought 11 pounds of lead yesterday.

I started hunting with an inline muzzleloader nearly 20 years ago and went to a smokeless muzzleloader about 10 years ago, and now I’m finally coming around to traditional muzzleloading. To dip my toe into the pool without going all in, I bought a Traditions DeerHunter 50 cal off another message board for a $100, and I really like the little gun. The first load I tried was one 50 gr Pyrodex pellet and a 250 gr SST, and even with the tiny sights, I rang the 50 yard gong with the first shot. I kind of thought it might be a fluke, so I tried it again and rang the gong. I decided to try some old 245 gr PowerBelts that haven’t shot well in any gun I’ve owned, and I rang the gong with them too.
I took the gun to our family Christmas get together at my Mothers (really just to show it off), and while my brother and I were out on the porch frying fish for lunch, I saw a group of pigs down in the pasture. I decided to try to get into range for a shot, and after a 500 yard stalk, I was able to take a 70 yard shot and dropped a little boar. I aimed a little high since I had only checked zero on the sights at 50 yards, but I hit him in the spine right where I was aiming. I had to finish him with my pistol thus the head wound.
View attachment 56725
Just eatin' size! Bring me a fork!

Back