• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Exploding CVA barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
See that's the problem. You followed the black sheep off a cliff lol. Their breech plug issue was one ONE model and that was the 1995-96 cva Apollo.

The cva sidelocks have one of the strongest breech plugs ever designed.
In the OP photo the threads on both the breech plug and on the shard of barrel steel look strong and well formed.
I may give my kit rifle a try again. Thanks for the information.

My Hodgdon manual (25 edition) shows 90 grains of fff as a maximum load with a round ball for the 45 cal rifle; plus 10% is about 100 grains.
Why do you contradict yourself?
Screenshot_2024-09-01-23-17-00-691_com.android.chrome.jpg

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/45-cal-proof-load.163160/page-2

The double charge double charge proof was for a 62 smoothie that except for the trigger guard was completely shop made. Barrel was a piece of DOM tubing, electrically welded seam. Not a factory/professionally made arm, it stood, still in useful service. If it find’s it’s way to another Im fine with its design.

The double charge double charge proof was for a 62 smoothie that except for the trigger guard was completely shop made. Barrel was a piece of DOM tubing, electrically welded seam. Not a factory/professionally made arm, it stood, still in useful service. If it find’s it’s way to another Im fine with its design.
Nope, the context was a .45 rifle. You suggested a double max charge but now you suggest just a 10% increase.
I suggest based on your comments that you are not qualified to guide anyone in the proofing of their firearm.
Good day.

My old deer creek northwest rifle ( renamed cva mountain rifle ) in .45cal shot a 225gr conical and 90gr 3fg triple 7 beautiful.

90gr 3fg with a ball is a lot, but.... not enough to harm the barrel 😂

If loaded incorrectly, 130 grains of 3F can certainly destroy a barrel, hell even a blank in a smaller caliber could cause some damage to the gun.

If I'm not mistaken, the European certification test is done with a load 4 times greater than the maximum service load (75gn?)...which would be at least 300 grains.

It was clearly loaded with smokeless on purpose- or some smokeless got mixed in accidentally with his powder, or he used a duplex load and got stung. I don’t think this individual needs to be around firearms.

I tested an old rifled musket converted into a shotgun. It was smooth but could still see some of the grooves. I loaded 75 gr 2f and a patched round ball. Graduations of 85gr up to 95. It passed my test. I have a homemade rigs for handguns and long guns just for this.
And in my experience, black powder will not blow up anything if it doesn't have any resistance. I tried making big firecracker and they were disappointing. PVC pipe. It just spewed out the fuse hole. Not once but three times. But an odd thing I did discover, if I wrapped the powder in a few layers of newspaper and duct tape as tight as I could get it. It went boom. I didn't "waste any powder" throughout the years I've bought guns locally and some came with powder, balls and caps. Being me, I don't trust an open half used bottle of powder. I save it for my small cannons.

Last edited:
Never shoot a lose ball in a rifle.

And a 120 grains of 3F in a 45 caliber? Are you nuts ?

Glad the OP is unhurt. I guess we all have a massive brain fart once in a while, but hopefully not one so potentially lethal.

I have three .45 rifles. The CVA MR groups best with 60g 3f Goex. The custom Douglas barrelled halfstock only groups at 60g. And the Colerain barreled flintlock looks like it will be very near that 60g mark too, but needs more bench time to be sure.

Plenty of oomph for deer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back