• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Exploding CVA barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
235445-impalla-eating-popcorn.gif

Thankfully a CVA and not an indian gun.
That would generate another 700 pages of posts......
I use black triple fff as I have for years and I rammed till I get the bounce and my rod is measured to be sure
what was amazing i used to put at least 300 balls a season turkey shooting
Well, you did something wrong. Too much powder, WAY too much powder and a loose ball. Operator error.

And in my experience, black powder will not blow up anything if it doesn't have any resistance. I tried making pipe bombs and they were disappointing. PVC pipe. It just spewed out the fuse hole. Not once but three times.
oh HELL NO. You’re wrong. In my misspent youth, we made them. Did you use pipe glue in the seams? They blow up for real. We did some dangerous stuff back when.

oh HELL NO. You’re wrong. In my misspent youth, we made them. Did you use pipe glue in the seams? They blow up for real. We did some dangerous stuff back when.
I carry glass in my uh, tush from making fish bombs out of saline bottles, and combining that wonderful idea with quart of Jack Black. one can't turn and run fast enough to beat a 2 inch fuse.

Yep, glued them on just like plumbing. I drilled the hole and my fuse fit tight. We blew a 50 gallon drum with dud firecrackers. We would open them up and save as much powder as we could. Roll that up good and tight. Never had one fail.
Yeah we did some crazy dangerous things back then. Like a mason jar full of gasoline and throw into a fire. Take our slingshots and see who hit it first. Fill a balloon with butane and use a mop string as a fuse. Light a small fire around a starting fluid can and shoot it with a 22 rifle.

I’m really puzzled by this. Agreed. Never shoot a loose ball. I can’t think of why you would. 120 grains of powder? Again. Why? Proof testing? I don’t get that either ?
I guess he never heard of running the ram rod down the bore, marking where it is at the muzzle and then laying the rod along side the barrel huh ?

I’m really puzzled by this. Agreed. Never shoot a loose ball. I can’t think of why you would. 120 grains of powder? Again. Why? Proof testing? I don’t get that either ?
I guess he never heard of running the ram rod down the bore, marking where it is at the muzzle and then laying the rod along side the barrel huh ?

Not just 120 grains of powder, 120 grains of 3F powder.

The regular charge of. 3F in a .45 is around 40-50 grains, 120-130 is nearly 3 times the regular charge, in a rifle with a loose unpatched ball gas can escape around it… anything can go wrong at that point.

If this was an attempt to proof a gun it was a terrible one at best.

well I do know how to check for a load but I had the plug removed and it had to be replaced so that is why I gave it the big load of powder
I always drop a single charge down my barrel each time out after a long storage and flash it off with a cap.
That way I am assured it is dried out and ready for a load and ball with out having a mis fire.
So you loaded a blank charge to see if the rifle would fire and also confirm that the rifle wasn’t still loaded from a previous trip to the range…….30 years ago?!?!?! I don’t think you know what you are doing!
I do know what I am doing, that is why anyone taking a muzzel loader out for a shoot should place a charge of powder with out a ball and a cap to make sure of a clean dry barrel before loading a ball
Did Your Daddy not teach you nutten BOY

These guys ran 160 grains of 2F in the same gun but in 50 and it was fine. Filled barrel, doubled ball etc. still fine. Took a load of smokeless to blow it up .

120 grs. of 3F in a 45 is stout but no match for Spanish steel.

Your story doesn't add up. The gun has been stored for 30yrs, but you load a charge of 120grs fffg like you always do??
The plug has been replaced? How exactly do you do that on a CVA?
Who uses a bare ball in a rifle barrel unless something is trying to eat you?
If you've done this 1000s xs, why tie the gun to a bench and use a 30' cord?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back