• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Trip to the Range w/ the New CVA 50 Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiochiro3

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally got to the range last Saturday to test my unfired CVA 50 Hawken. :grin: Starting load was 70 gr. Pyrodex behind Hornady 0.490" RB. The resulting 50 yard target looked like this:

2012-07-28152923.jpg
[/img]

I was quite impressed with the accuracy of this virgin barrel. As you will note, I shot 2 distinct groups after getting acquainted with her. Interestingly, I would put 2 in the right-hand group, and then 1 or 2 in the low group. Shooting habits included a swab between shots to keep the number of variables down.

From what I've read around here, the barrel might need breaking in, or my sight picture may have changed (although the sunlight was consistent through the shoot and there was no wind). Could just be plain 'ol operator error, but if so, I was making exactly the same mistake much of the time. :idunno:

Another note: had a heck of a lot of misfires, so I immediately ordered hot shot and spitfire nipples and will pick up some magnum caps (I was using standard CCI caps). I also read the Remington caps are better, so I will look for some of those.

One answer to CVA misfires here on TMF included loading with the powder charge and then pointing the drum toward the ground and tapping the non-lock side to get a bit of powder nearer the cap (before seating the patch and ball). Sounds reasonable, as I had some improvement dribbling powder into the drum through the drum screw hole after some misfires. Maybe some of you CVA owner-operators can comment?

I have also ordered a new adjustable rear sight as I was not really happy with the one installed. I really like ghost-ring sights, and will probably end up with one on her in the end.

Thanks!

PS: I'm already looking to name her. I'm leaning toward incorporating Kate (after my wife) if I can find a good alliteration to go with it.

One answer to CVA misfires here on TMF included loading with the powder charge and then pointing the drum toward the ground and tapping the non-lock side to get a bit of powder nearer the cap (before seating the patch and ball).

You mentioned the rifle is new. Prior to shooting, did you make sure the flash channel was clear of preservative oil and anything else that might impede the cap flash from reaching the powder? Flushing it out with brake cleaner of 91% alcohol should help. The CVA sidelocks have a long flash channel, so cleanliness is critical. You may need to remove the nipple and run a pipe cleaner through the channel, or blow it out with compressed air, if available.

Good luck, and please let us know how you progress.

Thanks, Acorn! I did not specifically clean out the flash channel before firing; however, I just ran a pipe cleaner through the drum screw hole and it came out clean, so... :idunno:

I will blow some brake cleaner and compressed air through it before the next range excursion and report back on the results. :thumbsup:

I think it's quite respectable for a new barrel at 50 yards. Try increasing the powder charge by 5 grains until you start to get nice, tight groups and you've found the optimum powder charge. I really like those Shoot-N-See targets as I just can't see the holes in the regular paper ones.

you're don't look to bad faor the first outing, you'll figure it out. it just takes alot of shooting to get it down. turning the rifle down and slaping the stock is a good way to get powder in the flash channel, just make sure to do it everytime! i can get off about 25 shoot before the flash channel and nipple need to be cleaned. what kind of patch and lube are you using?

In regards to your misfires. You didn`t say if you are using pyrodex RS or P granulation.
I used to shoot pyrodex in my CVA`s and found that it was important to get powder into the flash channel and under the nipple in order to get anything close to reliable ignition. I had better luck using the P granulation because the smaller powder grains would flow into the fire channel better when you "slap" the side of the barrel. The bigger RS grains want to "bridge up" in the breech.
I switched to shooting real black powder and eliminated that problem. I realize though that not everyone can easily get the "real deal". If your in that group, you might want to try pyrodex P if that`s not what your already using.
Your groups look pretty good to me for the first time out with a new gun :thumbsup: Keep playin with it and find a favorite load. I`ll bet you can tighten up them groups some.

SgtSchutzen said:
In regards to your misfires. You didn`t say if you are using pyrodex RS or P granulation.
I used to shoot pyrodex in my CVA`s and found that it was important to get powder into the flash channel and under the nipple in order to get anything close to reliable ignition. I had better luck using the P granulation because the smaller powder grains would flow into the fire channel better when you "slap" the side of the barrel. The bigger RS grains want to "bridge up" in the breech.
I switched to shooting real black powder and eliminated that problem. I realize though that not everyone can easily get the "real deal". If your in that group, you might want to try pyrodex P if that`s not what your already using.
Your groups look pretty good to me for the first time out with a new gun :thumbsup: Keep playin with it and find a favorite load. I`ll bet you can tighten up them groups some.

I second the recommendation of Pyrodex P as a sub. Much more reliable and consistent than RS IMHO.

izzyjoe said:
you're don't look to bad faor the first outing, you'll figure it out. it just takes alot of shooting to get it down. turning the rifle down and slaping the stock is a good way to get powder in the flash channel, just make sure to do it everytime! i can get off about 25 shoot before the flash channel and nipple need to be cleaned. what kind of patch and lube are you using?

Thanks izzyjoe. I think you're right about the powder in the flash channel. Gonna try the barrel slap next time.

SgtSchutzen said:
In regards to your misfires. You didn`t say if you are using pyrodex RS or P granulation....Your groups look pretty good to me for the first time out with a new gun Keep playin with it and find a favorite load. I`ll bet you can tighten up them groups some.

I am using RS. A buddy of mine is going to give me an assortment of powders to test, so thanks to everyone around here I have some good ideas to work on solving my problems.

I was generally pleased with the groups too. My buddy had an additional theory on the reason for two distinct groups. This gun came with both 54 & 50 cal. barrels. I was shooting the 50; however, it did not seat snugly (channel is a bit too wide), so I had to bend the wedge a touch to stabilize it, but it wasn't as steady as I would have liked. My friend thinks the barrel consistently settled in one spot & then another -- giving me the 2 distinct groups. Sounds at least plausible... :idunno: It's a problem I will remove from the equation for sure (probably with some shims -- and eventually a new lock and stock).

Sure is fun working up loads for my guns -- something I've always enjoyed with my moderns. I'll let y'all know what happens next, but it won't be this weekend; got too many other obligations. :cursing:

Back