• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Trip to the Range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I took my first trip to the range with my Traditions Kentucky muzzleloader yesterday. Boy did I have fun, got to shoot 10 rounds before I had to go home. I was using a wet patch to clean between shots and after the fifth shot the cap went off but no boom. Two caps later still no boom. I then took off the nipple and put a small amount of powder inside the nipple hole (I learned about that on this forum, thanks). It went off. I was thinking that I may have used too much water on the cleaning patch so I used a dry patch after using the wet one. No further problems.

I was using 60 grains of 3f powder and it shot about 1 inch low at 25 yds. If I increase the load to 70 grains will that bring the point of impact up?

After getting home I put hot water and some soap in a bucket and removed the nipple put the barrel in the water and used the ram rod and patch to clean the barrel. I was amazed at the amount of crud that came out of the barrel. I was also amazed at the amount of water I got all over me when I pulled the ram rod out of the barrel.

Thanks for all the info I get from reading this forum, it is a wonderful site to visit each day.

Increasing the load may have the opposite effect as you expect. With the projectile leaving the barrel faster, before the recoil lifts the barrel as far, it may strike the target lower. :no:

Congradulations on your first of many to come range trips! :thumbsup:

Regarding your POI question of bumping the charge up by 10 grains, you will know when you try. :)

I would suggest working in 5gr increments versus 10gr.

You may find that 70gr moves you right off the paper where 65gr drops you right where you want to be.

It does sound like your swab patches were too wet. These only need to be damp.

Good luck and keep posting!!! :thumbsup:

As for your POI you will just have to experiment. That is the fun of finding your sweet load.

As for the patch problem. I will not use a spit patch to swab. It seems my fingers are always full of burned black powder and the taste is terrible, so I do not get them or anything they might touch near my mouth. I take a small spritzer bottle (held eye glass cleaner I bought at Wal Mart for $1.00) and fill that with 91% Isopropyl alcohol. I wet the patch real good and clean the fowling. The alcohol is already starting to dry and will burn if necessary, then I run a dry patch or two down the barrel. After I pull the alcohol patch I give the outside of the nipple a quick wipe so the caps set better and it will be dry when you're ready to shoot again.

When you swab just work that barrel swab in short strokes from the muzzle down. Be sure the hammer is back and the nipple is open so as not to create a vaccuum. This action will normally (you can hear it) blow air through the nipple and make sure it is clear for the next shot.

Sounds like you're hooked. Soon you will find every reason in the world to get out there and shoot. Keep us posted on your rifle and results.... :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back