• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fishin lead ?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
what kind a lead is fishin weights made of....i'm thinking of getting into casting....i just found a bunch of 4..5..8 oz weights....and are there any manuals out that cover the subject....also how many grains in a oz...........bob

Bob, there are 7000 grains to a pound...

That makes 437.5 grains per oz...

Fishing lead may be like wheel weights, rule of thumb being: If you can mark the lead with your fingernail, then its soft enough for muzzleloader use...

There are many post here about casting bullets/round balls, plus we will all help you along and answer any of your concerns promptly...

i had no dought that you guys would....after all....ya all are the greatest.....................bob

Bob: If you have a scrap yard close that you can call, ask them if they have any pure lead such as from a x-ray lab, lead sheeting from old roofs, plumbers lead, etc. It whould be about .20 to .25 cents a pound & as stated above, you can easily cut it with your thumbnail or slice an thin edge of Very easy with a pocket knife. Lead used for fishing is usally not pure lead & has allot of tin in it, as does wheel weights.

Keep in mind that fumes from melting lead ARE toxic & could cause health problems.

If I were you, I would just buy a 20# ingot & a mold & use a Coleman stove & melt a lil & try it first & see if you like it. I have hundreds of #'s of lead & dispise casting bullets & only cast the ones that are fairly expensive like the .58 cal & larger.
IMHO, you can't save any money casting small balls as with the cost of the equipment & price of materials & etc., you might break even if you shoot a lot & cast for 10 years. I had one feller recently tell me he bought lead & cast 2000 .36 cal balls & saved $10. by the time he was done. It only took him all weekend..... Personally I would rather shoot for an 3-4 hrs & pay $5 for a box of balls than spend a day casting them & tossing half of what I cast (flawed) back in the pot. Strange that when ya cast your own bullets, you expect them all to be perfect.... Most of the guys I know that cast balls just do it because they like casting & shooting them & saying they made them.

And some guys just love casting them & that is fine. I have one friend that casts hard cast bullets for HP rifles & it is amazing the accuracy he obtains with them. He casts bullets all the time (it seems) and just loves doing it. Everyone had their own druthers... I druther be building a rifle....

Hey bob...

Lyman and RCBS both have very good books on casting. I have both and I believe I prefer the Lyman. Be careful, as Birddog alluded to casting can become a hobby in and of itself. Kinda like tying flys.

Except for a few centerfire rifles I've cast all my round balls, bullets for hand guns and big bullets for my BPC and double rifles for a long time. Also, as Birddog said you'll have to shoot a lot to amoritize the equipment. Casting for nearly all my rifles and handguns, and the oddball calibers they're in, my stuff paid for itself a long, long time ago. Often it was the only way to procure projectiles. Good luck!

Vic

Latest posts

Back