• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fisrt kit question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swank

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was thinking of purchasing a lyman percussion GPR Kit from Mid South, mainly due to having to pinch pennies right now and I thought it might be fun to try too. Since I have no experience building anything, I was wondering how much work is involved? Is there much more to finishing this than browning the barrel and finshing the wood? Any info would be great.

Thanks

Swank

I have no experience in building a muzzleloader, however was thinking of the same thing next purchase. I did note that on the Lyman website they have a link to a PDF version of their instruction book which includes a lot of information, including a section on the GPR and also on kit assembly. In the book also is instructions on building the kits, including a whats required, etc... you may want to take a peek at that and see what you think.

I found it at: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/LymanUsersGuide.pdf

Jeremy

Swank: If your pinching pennies check with wally world and ask for their special order catalog in the sporting section you may find the Lyman GPR kit at a saving they are less than Mid South right now. As for building one if you have the normal household and shop tools in your garage you should have no trouble putting a kit together. Follow the plans that should come with the kit and it will work out fine.
Fox

The metal parts almost fit.
You will have to trim off a little wood here and there with a razor knife or a file to get the metal parts to fit "just right" into the wood.
I haven't heard of any major problems that can't be overcome with some a few questions and answers from the folks on this forum.

Most of the work is sanding.
You will need to sand the stock so it matches the width and shape of the butt plate and the nosecap.

A little tip for you. When you fit the metal parts, make sure you bevel them, so they look like they were there from the beginning.

Latest posts

Back