• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fixed? .54 GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaBee133

40 Cal
Reaction score
I “think” I figured it out. Maybe?
Took it out yesterday. Boiling water cleaned. Dried with denatured alcohol. Loaded 90gr of 3F Swiss. Fired perfectly.
Repeated without cleaning. 3x

Let it sit overnight. Loaded with my standard 90gr 3F. Popped the cap, nothing. Pulled the nipple, charged flash channel. Fired fine. Popped several caps, by 5 caps it quit moving the paper. Pulled the nipple, plugged up solid. Flash channel was “waxy” looking, as was the area around the nipple.

New nipples getting ordered. Tried a different tin of caps in the mean time. No greasy residue, no carbon plug.

Conclusion? Worn nipple combined with a tin of defective caps. At least it should be a cheap fix. Getting ready to test the .50 that has the same issues. Bad caps happen…

Back