• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash in the pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millermpls

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Literally. Three attempts, three failures to ignite powder in the barrel of a flintlock pistol I bought some time back, but have not gotten around to trying. Each time, I got good ignition in the pan and a satisfying cloud of smoke, but no 'boom'. I cleared the flash hole between fails. I used FFFG in the pan, as I couldn't find any FFFFG locally.

Any advice from those with experience regarding technique is appreciated.

You didn't say what kind of gun you are trying to shoot.

I know my Pedersoli Queen Anne had a very small, long vent hole that barely intersected the rear of the bore.

IMO, the best design for a flintlock has the vent in the side of the barrel right ahead of the breech plug face.

If your pistol has one of those long holes connecting the vent area with the bore, it's possible the long connecting hole is blocked with a metal chip that was created during the manufacturing process.

If everything is working like it should, you should be able to see fresh powder at the inside end of the vent hole.
If no powder is there, it won't be ignited by the pan flash.

What's the diameter of the flash hole? May have to open it up some. Is there a liner and is it coned? (from the inside) We need more info...

Did you give it a good cleaning before shooting it? If not, there's more than likely something (packing grease, dead bugs, God knows what) plugging up the works.

Thank you, gentlemen.

It is an Elliot pattern dragoon pistol, Indian manufacture. I know, derision will be heaped upon me. I bought it for display, but thought I would give it a try. After charging with powder and patch/ball, I could not see powder in the chamber through the flash hole from the outside.

I do not own an instrument that can accurately measure the size of the flash hole, but it is tiny. Smaller than a standard toothpick. In fact, it seems smaller than the FFFG granulation.

I did give it a cleaning prior to trying. If looking down the muzzle, I could see light from the flash hole.

I agree with Bakeoven Bill.

You need to enlarge the size of the vent hole.

Before you do this, take the unloaded pistol and insert a unbent paper clip thru the vent hole until it stops.
Then, use a flashlight to illuminate the inside of the bore. At the bottom of the bore, you should see the paper clip. If you do, we're on the right track.

If you don't see the paper clip sticking into the bottom of the bore, there is a possibility that it doesn't go all the way thru.

You need to find out if this is true and if so, why.
To find out if the vent hole does go thru the barrel wall, try pouring a little water down the barrels bore. It should flow freely out of the vent hole. If it doesn't, give the place you bought it from a call to see if they will replace it.

With a big bore pistol like the one you own, you can drill the vent hole up to 5/64 inches (.078) but before you do, try using a 1/16 inch drill bit (.0625) to enlarge it.

If you have a variable speed electric drill, use it at a very low speed and use almost no pressure to push the drill thru the hole.
In fact, because of its twist it will try to pull itself into the existing hole. Don't let it do that. Just use enough pressure (or negative pressure) as is needed to get the drill bit to go slowly in until it is completely thru the barrel wall.

If the gun still doesn't fire reliably after drilling the vent hole to 1/16", then redrill the hole with the larger 5/64 diameter drill bit.

Thanks for reinforcing Bill's recommendation and the additional info.

I am hopeful that this may be solvable.

Back