• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash pan fit to vent hole liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swedepie

36 Cal.
Reaction score
To get the flash pan to snug up to the barrel, do you file or round out the pan or file the vent hole liner? Thanks, Mac.

The vent liner is to be filed Flush to the barrel flat. Then you inlet the lock to fit Flat.... up against the barrel flat. And it should fit up against the barrel flat easily.. and not require torqueing of the lock bolts to make it flat.

If you installed a new vent liner, insure it is not protruding into the bore. It should be shortened as not to go past the bore or it could slow the ignition, & most of all you won't be able to get a jag & cleaning tools past it to get to the breech. So shorten the vent liner so it is even with the grooves in the rifling in the bore.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply Birdog6. This rifle is the Hock Shop Flintlock. The slot on the vent liner is buggered up, any advise how to remove it and check things out? Thompsons sent me a new lock and I am trying to fit it up snug to the barrel, going to polish up the pan and try it out this weekend, I hope. Mac.

Most traditionalists never remove the vent liner. We don't leave any screwdriver slot or hex thingy or whatever on there. So you could just file it flat and not worry about that screwdriver slot. If you want to stick to TC ways and have a removeable vent, then you could either use a graver to cut a deeper slot (you probably haven't acquired engraving tools or skills yet so forget that)or you could drill the vent hole to at least 1/8" and use an easy-out from the auto parts store to get the liner out.

Thanks Rich, I have a whole box of easy outs. Have used them many times here on the farm. I'll file it off flush and shoot it. If in the future it needs fixin I'll drill it out and deal with it then. Just new to this BP and didn't want to screw something up if it didn't need screwin up. Mac.

Back