• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FLAT POWER HORNS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like the flat powder horns.
1.The carry ** fits "tighter" to my body.
2.Less catching items.

The Flat Horn was carried by Scots, but it was popular in Europe (esp. the "gentry"), they were carried on the American Cont. The Round Horn was more often carried than the flat :rolleyes: { Most likey beause they were easier to make,cheaper & the rnd. horn could carry more powder.

BTW = Pic.s 3& 4 are of my horn (N0TE, it was made for me by 1 of Our Members !!! :thumb:🤗

Attachments

• 4211109264_9f28582a47_b.jpg
    4211109264_9f28582a47_b.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Dec2011copy.jpg
    Dec2011copy.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • flat horn 2 - Copy.jpg
    flat horn 2 - Copy.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • flat horn 3 - Copy.jpg
    flat horn 3 - Copy.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 0
Great horns. I love the looks of the flat horns and have tried to make a couple........both were failures.
In both attempts I failed to get them hot enough.
I'll try to get one right again in the future.

Go to Google and do a search for "Ron Vail", he makes some really nice flat horns.

There is a guy from Elizabethtown, Kentucky who also make some really nice small flat horns.

There was a guy here years ago who made flat horns here, I have several of his horns and he has a following. He stopped when his wife died.

Flat horns are my favorite.

Few years ago I bought a small flat horn. I think it was from Crazy Crow. Well yesterday I was looking it over, and found, that it was solid all the way thru. I couldn't even drill it to get access to the interior. I guess you can make them to flat, LOL.

Dave

Great horns. I love the looks of the flat horns and have tried to make a couple........both were failures.
In both attempts I failed to get them hot enough.
I'll try to get one right again in the future.
You can boil them in water but it takes a long time to get them soft, hours, oil works better but now you have to not get them to hot, you don't want to cook them.

Then make sure you have a flat triangular piece of wood that is flat on the sides ready to go, stick it in the cavity and squeeze it in a padded vice (so it does not leave vice marks) and let it cool overnight.

Others may have other methods, but this is what works for me.

Latest posts

Back