• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flax Tow As Wadding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi anyone have issues with flax tow burning (on the ground) after it leaves the barrel ? This happened at my range last week with a smoothbore and I’m flagged from using it now as wadding.

I'm not at all surprised. I supply jute fiber with my fire making kits. Natural fibers catch and sustain an ember very well which it why they are used in fire making. The heat generated by a piece of charcloth must pale in comparison to that at powder ignition.

This is jute fiber.

I purchased flax tow and found it did smolder, Previous purchases I never had smoldering happen. Maybe change in manufacturing procedures. I finally got wool tow; haven't had a problem. I have used green grass as a substitute in the field.

A pinch of wasp nest may solve your problem, put it between the powder & the tow...

Creates a great seal in the bore it seems.

You also maybe able too pre soak the tow in a Borax & water solution, the let it dry before using... I’ve heard the Borax serves as a fire retardant.. 2 1/2 cups too 1 gallon of h2o...

I haven’t tried the Borax method, but I use wasp nest frequently for hunting loads as a buffer between the patch & powder.

But that’s mostly too protect the powder from the patch lube.

A pinch of wasp nest may solve your problem, put it between the powder & the tow...

I would like to try some wasp nest but can’t get my wasps to cooperate. Their piddly little nests would hardly make one loading. I leave them alone hoping they will make a huge nest I can harvest. But noooo, they just mess around with a little single-family nest a inch and half around or so. Sorry wasps......... Now if dirt dauber nest could be used for something I would be in business.

soaking your tow in a mild borax solution will help it to resist burning. My niece used to twirl a flaming baton and she rinsed her bright red hair with it before every performance. She was quite a sight with her flaming long red hair and the flaming baton. It is too bad they did not have home videos back then.

I normally use cooking parchment, as it silicon coated and resists burning. I’ve used jute before without it burning. Wasp nest I’ve used, but not always the easiest to find Here in NJ.

I rub a little lard or mink oil on a ball of tow, so far I haven’t had a fire trouble with it. Cut little ball, a finger glob of grease roll it tween my hands then pop in a tin. The grease retards the burning.

I would like to try some wasp nest but can’t get my wasps to cooperate. Their piddly little nests would hardly make one loading. I leave them alone hoping they will make a huge nest I can harvest. But noooo, they just mess around with a little single-family nest a inch and half around or so.
Will big hornets nests work as well as wasp nests? I come across them in the fall after the hornets and moved into the ground. I could easily snatch them up for anyone that wants to use them.

I would like to try some wasp nest but can’t get my wasps to cooperate. Their piddly little nests would hardly make one loading. I leave them alone hoping they will make a huge nest I can harvest. But noooo, they just mess around with a little single-family nest a inch and half around or so. Sorry wasps......... Now if dirt dauber nest could be used for something I would be in business.
I collect all of the HORNET'S and PAPER WASPS' NEST'S in the fall / winter and put then in a 5 gallon bucket untill needed that take it to the range / hunting. it is free and work's fine. and it is free and historically correct.

Yes. I use it in my fire staring kit. It can start a nice flame for tender pretty fast.
Wasp nests will hold a spark. Not so much flame up but they can hold a spark.

I normally use cooking parchment, as it silicon coated and resists burning. I’ve used jute before without it burning. Wasp nest I’ve used, but not always the easiest to find Here in NJ.
Hi flinterNick. Was just wondering what county you are from? I to am from nj cape may co. I would also say you would be hard pressed and, I mean hard pressed if you could find 5 guys on this county that shoot or practice traditional black powder shooting or hunting in any form. Yup, we got plenty of inliners. But traditional shooters good luck. Fi

Hi flinterNick. Was just wondering what county you are from? I to am from nj cape may co. I would also say you would be hard pressed and, I mean hard pressed if you could find 5 guys on this county that shoot or practice traditional black powder shooting or hunting in any form. Yup, we got plenty of inliners. But traditional shooters good luck. Fi

Hi, I’m in Burlington Country NJ down near Phillie. Yea, there’s not many of us, and powder is very hard to find around here.

Flax tow, waste discarded before spinning flax fibers for linen works about as good as jute for tinder in flint and steel with charred cloth or punk but is much more expensive. The wasps nests I have used don't hold a spark unless you dribble black powder into it. The untreated nests don't want to flame up either so it can be a safer wadding material than the flax tow. The tow was traditionally used to wipe out bores with a special spiral wire corkscrew rod jag that slipped over the end of your wood rod.

Back