• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint Lock Main Spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a main spring that might fit a Hy-Hunter flint lock?
It was working fine with a homemade flint but the spark was weak. I ordered a couple of English ones. Was going to install it and the hammer didn't have any tension. Took the lock off and a piece of the spring fell out. Very heart broken (me, not the spring) especially for what I paid for the pistol.
Any help would be appreciated.
Jappo

Attachments

• 20240911_110838.jpg
    20240911_110838.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240911_110849.jpg
    20240911_110849.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The gunsmith at The Log Cabin in Lodi OH can replace the spring for you at reasonable cost.

Well I've decided I'm not going to fool with it. Not going to put anymore money into it.
Thank you all for your replies.

I did have a broken mainspring. I used the full-sized drawings in the Track of the Wolf catalog to find a mainspring that closely matched the broken spring. You may have to print out each page that shows mainsprings to get the full-sized images. I did find a match. I did have to drill a hole in the lock plate for the locating pin on the spring.

I did have a broken mainspring. I used the full-sized drawings in the Track of the Wolf catalog to find a mainspring that closely matched the broken spring. You may have to print out each page that shows mainsprings to get the full-sized images. I did find a match. I did have to drill a hole in the lock plate for the locating pin on the spring.
What is your pistol?

The broken mainspring was in a Cherry Corners Lock that I used for my Hawken rifle build. I found the L&R mainspring for the late English lock (that I used in my Derringer Replica) was a great replacement. I did have to drill a new locating hole.

I would look at the pistol locks in the catalog or the other small flint locks such as the L&R Manton.

The broken mainspring was in a Cherry Corners Lock that I used for my Hawken rifle build. I found the L&R mainspring for the late English lock (that I used in my Derringer Replica) was a great replacement. I did have to drill a new locating hole.

I would look at the pistol locks in the catalog or the other small flint locks such as the L&R Manton.
I see. This is a huge lock. Its 6 inches long.
There's a few on ebay I need to check out. They have the measurements on them. Just haven't took the time to look into them. I might be able to modify a Walker spring. I need to take mine off and have a look see.

Attachments

• 9k=.jpg
    9k=.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240916_093805.jpg
    20240916_093805.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240916_093759.jpg
    20240916_093759.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jappo I you can find a neighbor that is scrapping out one of those kids trampoline the metal hoop that holds up the netting and keeps it round is a spring steel. You may be able to make one from that.

Suss
Ok, I happen to have a few of those I just didn't want to throw away. I use them on gates. I'll take a look at one.
Thanks for that. I went through my junk pile already and didn't find anything.

Latest posts

Back