• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint Selection?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What is your favorite flint material? Who supplies it for you and what flints would you NEVER use and why?
Idaho PRB :hmm:

What is your favorite flint material?

Black English Flints

Who supplies it for you?

Bulk bag purchases from October Country...quality & price;

what flints would you NEVER use and why?

Any agate / sawed flints...flint life is way too short and reliability is very unpredictable, compared to 40-60 shots per Black English Flint;

Any man made synthetics, like a 'duraflint'...to go back to old technology like a flintlock for the challenge of it, but then to modernize the very essence of flintlock technology (it's ignition) with something other than a real flint misses the whole point.

Favorites are black english and french amber. :imo:

Saw'en/cut flints/agates, are pure undiluted junk! :m2c:

YMHS
rollingb

Roundball's answer is on the mark, however I like to make my flints as well, perhaps not as good as Tom Fuller can :rolleyes: but I can knapp well enough to make my gun go BOOM...

I find this more enjoyable than just buying flints from OC...

I use Tom Fuller's flints when hunting, my own when target shooting...

Thanks People!
I am working on getting my first flinter and appreciate the info.
Idaho PRB

Latest posts

Back