• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint types

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stillwater

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This has probably been asked a million times before, however, a search didn't turn up a good answer...

What type of flints are usually work the best? The English flints, the French flints or agate flints?

Bill

Thank you SK :hatsoff: I had the idea that the English flints would be the best answer. I just needed it to be verified by someone with experience...

Bill

English chipped are the standard. But, I have used sawn flints with great success. However sawn flints must be used in a good lock. BTW, not all flints which are referred to as "agate" are agate, there are many rocks that work just fine as gun flints.

I use English flints from TOTW usually with great success. But I found with flints there are great ones, average, and why didn't I spend an extra quarter and bought the great ones. Lesson spend a few extra pennies and buy quality.

the synthetic sawn 'flint like thingies' are an abomination and should be banned from use by the civilized world ...

French Amber flints look pretty cool, but in my experience they work no better (though certainly no worse) than black English flints... all you get is that they look cool ... if you want to spend extra money to look cool, well that's your right: they're your over taxed, God entrusted dollars to spend as you see fit; don't let anyone make you spend them in a manner inconsistent with your desires.

(we call it confiscation where I come from, but some call it 'fair tax policy' - that's the political rant for today)

I have heard of but not seen flints which are cut (I would guess with a diamond wheel) ... don't see why these wouldn't work ...

so, in summation:

English flints? sure - the standard
French Amber ... pay for pretty - it's your call
"cut" flints ... why not? makes them fit in the cock
'synthetic' flint- like gadgets?

:slap:

i'd sooner put a dried cow patty in my lock ... probably get more spark, too

make good smoke!

Had been using the black english from Track of the wolf.
Switched to the the Honey colored french From Troy at Stone wall creek
Found them to be better sized more consistent.
Tell Troy what your looking for and he will hand pick them.
Caps are running 5-6 bucks a tin of 100 here...
Paying 2-250 for a flint pays off.
Have one flint in my 58 that going on 125 shots.
For some reason I never achieved that with the black english?
I don't buy flints to look at.
Order a couple of each and you be the judge.

An acquaintance mentioned "German grey(gray)flints" and I recently came upon a dull-appearing gray flint - it came to me in my lock which I had sent out for some minor adjustment to its well-known lock-builder but it was so dull that it would not spark. baxter

I have heard of but not seen flints which are cut (I would guess with a diamond wheel) ... don't see why these wouldn't work ...

These are sawn flints from Germany. Not synthetic. The chunk in the upper right is American red agate I use for fire starting.
flints.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Latest posts

Back