• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flinter help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey pards, am experiencing a trmendous amount of pleasure, shooting my first flinter a GPR 54 cal. Bodacious, is the name I have given the rifle, has made me glad that I spent the money. Now I need to know where to get some real quality flints. How long should a flint last, or how many shots will I get from it. Should they be filed or knapped. Thanks for any help.

Check out the trade blanket here(or the other websites) for Rich Pierce He makes them himself from a white flint or chert but they work great and he's a good guy to deal with.I always knap flints as I never used the cut type and don't want to carry a diamond file around.Knapping is easy,Just tap the edge with a heavy knife blade or a screwdiver.You'll get the hang of it

The best flints IMO are the English flints...you'll see them advertized as Tom Fuller English flints in the various catalogs.

Life of a flint is variable depending on the individual lock geometry and strength of the mainspring. Some locks, even the same model from the same maker, will be tougher on flints than others.
Generally, you should be able to get a good 50 shots out of a given flint...I've got one rifle that can often go 70 shots. But 50 is a good standard.

Keep in mind that natural flint is an imperfect material and sometimes you will get one that won't give you 5 shots...

There's another fella here on the board (look in the classified section) that sells white domestic flint from here locally for a really good price.

Buy em by the dozen for a good price.

Rich's flints are great, and almost as good as BEF's Cain's has about the best price on the BEF's. I think yer rifle uses a 5/8". I'd get some of both.

Bill

I have found the French amber flints from[url] Horstguns.com[/url], to be superior even to the black English flints in my Chambers early Germanic lock on my yeager. How they would work on a GPR I don't know. But I have got in excess of 100 shots from one flint. And ignition is as near to 100 percent as it gets with a pan fired gonne.
volatpluvia

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got some nice 5/8" flints from TOTW today, 8/12 are perfect. The others could use a little help, but they will work and are sharp. I get the Fuller black english flints.

I have a GPR .54 in flint and I was told the 5/8 are what they were made for, I gess you could use 3/4 you would just have to make shure that you set it up so it dosn't hit the barrel. I get about 30-40 strikes out of my flints. I never had to nap them by the time they stop sparking they are to short to fit in the jaws properly. I use Tom Fuller flints, but when I get done with them I will give Rich Pirce a call. F.K.

With a properly tuned lock, you should get 80-100 strikes per flint, or more, from any Fuller Flint. As to knapping, If the flint is striking the frizzen at the right angle( 60 degrees) it should self-knapp, and there should never be a reason to be hitting that edge with anything.

To knapp a new flint to your gun's frizzen, lift eh the frizzen up until the edge of the flint, when the cock is released( fired) will just hit the bottom edge of the frizzen face. Hold the frizzen in that position with the side of your thumb. Cock the hammer back to full cock, and pull the trigger. The sharp angle will knapp off a straight edge across the entire width of the frizzen, leaving a NEW sharp edge that will strike the entire surface of the frizzen for each strike thereafter.

When a flint shortens, but still has useable length, use a stick to wedge the flint forward in the jaws so that you can use it further. When you remount the flint this way, you may have to knapp a new edge to marry the flint to the frizzen, again, but this will decrease the existing ( dull ) angle that the flint ground down to, in the process, and give you another new sharp edge to use. I typically get 30-40 strikes from a flint before I have to move it forward.

Mabe that is what I'm doing wrong. It's a good thing I have kept my old flints. My wife says I never through any thing away good thing this time. Thanks Paul. :hatsoff: F.K.

Back