• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Addiction, is there any hope?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just have to accept that this is your life now. There's no going back. Not only will you find yourself out looking for bits of flint, but you'll soon find strange tools showing up at your house, like pressure flakers, boppers, abrading stones, and hand pads. You'll also find yourself uttering phrases in a strange alien language. Words like conchoidal, debitage and preform will pop out at unexpected times. You may also find yourself dreaming of isolating the perfect platform and avoiding hinge fractures. Don't be afraid, just roll with it. It won't hurt you, though it can be disconcerting at first. 😄

My name is fly103 and I am an addict., Welcome to the group, we are here to support you and your treatment The only known treatment is to saturate your self in the black powder smoke until you can no longer find your way out. At which point you will admit your addiction and continue treatment until you reach the rendezvous in the sky.

Sign over your paycheck and your checking account now to your significant other to guard your funds less you be broke in short order! These flintlocks multiply like no other !! But it’s all good so enjoy...........you only live once!! Greg 😀

I call it my hobby. My late wife called it a disease. With no known cure. Some, still infected over many years may even reach the lunatic fringe :( Flintlock pistols. A couple more have been added since,,,,,
DSC00568 (Medium).JPG

I call it my hobby. My late wife called it a disease. With no known cure. Some, still infected over many years may even reach the lunatic fringe :( Flintlock pistols. A couple more have been added since,,,,,View attachment 68028
I like how you lined 'em all up on a suitable background just for a picture. Braggart.

I'm jealous and now have a goal!

wm

I call it my hobby. My late wife called it a disease. With no known cure. Some, still infected over many years may even reach the lunatic fringe :( Flintlock pistols. A couple more have been added since,,,,,View attachment 68028
remember not to leave them alone at night, we all know what happened when the light's go out???? they all look to be original's,? I rely like the RAT TAIL.

I picked up a used CVA Frontier flintlock a while back that sparked 😅 my interest and I have been keeping my eyes open to upgrade to a shooting showpiece for the wall. The Baltimore Antiques Arms Show cancelation really stinks as I have turned some high dollar unmentionables into nice muzzle loader money. Money's no good if you can't trade it for toys :(.

Welcome to the “Darkside”!

As many of you know, I started out shooting Muzzleloaders in the mid-1980s. About 1995, I tried my first Flintlock but accidentally filled the pan too full and it sprayed burning powder across my forehead with each shot. I sold that rifle and faithfully shot cap-locks until recently.

I’ve been jealous of those guys in the club shooting their Rock-locks. For a while now there was this longing to try it again. Especially after reading a book which allowed the “lightbulb” to go on and realize my earlier mistake.

A good friend of mine told me “If you want to become a Great Flint-lock shooter, you have to sell all your Cap guns”. Not only that, but I’m selling my “Production” guns as well.

So, with a few thousand in my pocket (I also sold some modern ones I hadn’t shot in a while) I’ve acquired a 40-caliber pistol built by Hollie Wessel and a 40- caliber rifle finished by Jack Hansberry from a Chambers kit (traded my Herb Hazen 54 Lancaster for it). I didn’t want to wait to have them built. I already owned a Trade Gun with an extra 50 caliber Round Ball Barrel (for hunting). I have a 54 Astorian on lay-away. That should be all I need. I don’t collect guns that I don’t shoot, just for the sake of collecting.

Photos: Hollie Wessel Pistol; Jack Hansberry rifle; GRF Northwest Trade Gun with extra barrel (on bottom) and 54 Astorian (3rd one down).

Some of the guns I’ve sold needed work. A little bluing and browning here and there. One wouldn’t go to full cock so I had to remove some wood in the lock mortise. What I discovered is that I love this kind of work. I think, for me, the the next step in this “Addiction” will be to build a quality kit such as Kibler, Chambers or TOW. I might even sample a few, who knows. Eventually, I’d like to complete them and sell them to others who don’t want to wait either.

Attachments

• GEDC4066.JPG
    GEDC4066.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 163
  • pix973241097.jpg
    pix973241097.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 26168741_10155497914642054_5025451752473424750_n.jpg
    26168741_10155497914642054_5025451752473424750_n.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210223_163803.jpg
    20210223_163803.jpg