• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock and Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thing

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was out this evening deer hunting. After about an hour I heard something moving in the brush. It took about 20 minutes for them to show up. 3 coyotes crossed the field They were roughtly 85 to 90 yards. To much brush in my way to get a clear shot with the flinter. They continued to hang out in the corner of that particular field until dark. Curosity got to me so I went there to look around with flashlight. I found a spike buck He was eaten up to his front shoulders. His head and neck and front shoulders were still intact.Im not sure if the coyotes pulled him down or he was possibly wounded and died there then the coyotes found him. I am retired and go out each evening . So, I know were I will be sitting the rest of this week. Hopefully they will come back and I can get one with the flinter. That would be awsome. I have shot many calling them. used CF rifles but never a Flintlock. Should I get lucky I will post it.

I agree, it would be neat to get a coyote with a flintlock, and is definitely worth a try.

Good luck, I'll look forward to the pictures.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Do a "Quigley" on them and wait till you get two of them lined up!!!! :thumbsup:

Now there would be a story to tell. :grin:

Most likely the deer was hurt in some way, either wounded or possibly hit by a car and either died or was helped along by the coyotes at that point. Yes Coyotes can take down deer but the conditions have to be right in order for adult deer to be taken. Snow to slow them down, hurt in some way that slows them down ect.

I have a surveillance camera setup in the back 40 watching a heavily used trail and a monitor here that I watch. As I can't hunt atm, it gives me great pleasure to watch whats going on out there. I've been seeing 5 differant deer off and on and a couple of this years Grey fox, Fisher cat run by hunting at night probably once a week. Coyotes (3) come through once or twice a week and used to bother me but they never seem to get any of the deer out back as I'm able to reconize the regulars. A couple of nights ago the coyotes woke me up at 4AM yipping and yapping so loud they sounded like they were right outside my door. I thought damn they must of finally got one of the deer, probably the little button buck...nope I've seen 4 of the five in the last two nights and the other is a big 7 point who is probably roaming and thats why I haven't seen any sign of him in two weeks. No idea what they got a hold of to make all that noise. Anyways, good luck, getting one with a flinter would be great. :thumbsup:

I have seen coyotes run deer to death, there will be 2 or 3 of them that get on a deer and switch off on chasing it. they keep it running until it cant run anymore. Killem all!

jhamilt said:
I have seen coyotes run deer to death, there will be 2 or 3 of them that get on a deer and switch off on chasing it. they keep it running until it cant run anymore. Killem all!

How in the world did you do that? Satellite reconnaissance maybe. :idunno:

I am one of the rare people who like coyotes, one of my favorite animals to hunt, I would be very upset if they were all gone. I have called in and killed a few with a caplock but none with a flinter. Chris

:thumbsup: Good luck B&B.When their hungry they'll be back.Timeing will dictate your luck."Get er done".Griz

We have tons of coyotes and thye do kill deer, but primarily fawns. They will take down weak deer in the winter, that's there place in the food chain, taking out the weak and the rodents. We need to thin them out here they killed lots of fawns on my property. They always take their kills to one particular spot on my place to chew on them, they always consume the hip bones last and thats how I can tell how many have been killed in the area more or less. Too bad fur prices arent higher, I'd trap them and skin them out.

That would be a coup! I've thought of doing the same, but I gotta get that rifle done.
I hope you do well, and post pics. :thumbsup:

Do a "Quigley" on them and wait till you get two of them lined up!!!!

I need to do that! I missed one this year and have to do two with one shot to end the year at 100%. :haha:

I use to get most my fox's this way. I would ask for any dead sheep and set them out in bad weather and watch them untill something started pulling at it. Setting them out in a good spot so I could sneak in and wait for them.

Good luck.

Brits.

buck and ball said:
3 coyotes crossed the field----- So, I know were I will be sitting the rest of this week.

buck I hope you kill em all. I've shot coyotes while deer hunting knowing it would ruin my deer hunt, and I'll do it again. I can't pass one up. Coyote calling is my passion year round. The closer I call them in the better. I use different guns according to the area and weather but when possible I love to shoot them with my little CVA 32cal.. Check your wind. Good luck and let us know when you get them. K45

jhamilt said:

Thats just not what I'm seeing here. Sping/summer they raise hell with the fawn crop here and winter with snow on the ground they can get some of the adults.

I kill every one of them pesky things I see. We loose several thousands of dollars worth of livestock to them every year. Them, bobcats, mt. lions, foxes, all of them are a royal pain.

I bought a coyote howler yesterday to maybe improve my calling situation. I hunted a bunch in the winter 2 years ago but only used a rabbit in distress call. I think I'll have a better chance this year since I got my driver's license so I can hunt at first light which I heard is one of the best time's to hunt. But I've only called 1 in ever so it's a challenge for me already. So I'll be using my dad's 30-06(only cf rifle). Good luck with your flinter :thumbsup:

I took one coyote years ago with my old .50 Deerstalker, and this year I hammered one and flipped another over with my wife's .50 Traditions Deerhunter. I felt horrible about wounding the one, but great about getting the first one. We have so many around here, that they are taking deer, and even packing up in the winter and really playing he-- with the deer. I will be heading out calling this winter, but will be using a modern rifle to level the playing field.

louie b,

I have hunted coyotes for 15 years or so and know of no other animal as challenging. There is a lot of information online and video, the best advice I can give you is stick with it and try not to get discouraged, if took me a good 6 months before I ever got a shot. Stand placement, wind, camo and calling technique are critical. Good luck, Chris

Back