• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock and geese-what a blast!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_0270-1.jpg

IMG_0263-1.jpg
Oh Darn another beautiful day on the marsh...This weekend was spent goose hunting,yesterday was one of those days where everything I did was wrong, can you imagine forgetting to load your gun and just having a flash in the pan? Yep and finding out your gun shoots about a foot low at 35 yards! Yep! now this would have been ok had i not had a hunting buddy along to ride me to the ground, i thought he was going to wet himself he laughed so hard!He was hunting with a modern shotgun and shot his 2 geese by noon, we had 5 different groups of geese work our decoys-singles pairs and flights up to 30, The birds were active Saturday morning.Sunday morning dawned with a thick eastern sky, many ducks working the marsh,the thousands of swallows migrating through entertained us,there were fewer birds working , my hunting budy shot his first bird out of a flight of 4, I missed on a pair 2 feet behind.Must be getting old, aound 9:30 another pair came low from the east they came to the call and headed for our decoys, I pull up my gun ,put the bead on the birds bill get out ahead and pull the trigger,Bang big white cloud,and down it came.Stoned him at 30 yards... my buddy takes a shot at the left bird and misses, I say shoot again,he is fighting a jam,somehow he got marsh grass inside of his action after the first shot,He say's I'm jammed and a few other words,I set the flint down and pickup my T/C New Englander 12 ga. cock the hammer pull down on the bird as it's leaving Bang,big white cloud and the bird is going down, WOW! all this happened in as much time or less than it takes to read this, a first for me with the flintlock and a first with the New Englander, this has been a learning experience with the flintlock all I can say is try it.. it's heads and shoulders above a modern shotgun. Both guns had loads of # 3 steel shot.Check out my make shift rear sight- I had to raise the rear sight plane to raise the poi at 35 yards.I will be installing a rear sight with no notch as a permanent solution.

The gun pictured is a 12 ga. Pedersoli Mortimer flintlock- the original owner had it jug choked - I sent the barrel to Colonial arms and they installed the choke.

Thanks Roundball..water fowling with a flintlock takes it to a whole new level--This one was on my bucket list.
I am a work in progress with the flintlocks only wish I would have started earlier in life,guess I'll have to make up for lost time. Have a great fall!

That's not fair; our waterfowl season doesn't start until this weekend!

That's a great photo. Congrates; that looks like a load of fun! :thumbsup:

Goldhunter said:
That's not fair; our waterfowl season doesn't start until this weekend!

That's a great photo. Congrates; that looks like a load of fun! :thumbsup:
The state of Wisconsin is split for waterfowl-roughly with a line running east to west the northern zone started for ducks this last weekend, the southern zone(the one I do most of my duck hunting in starts this Saturday.) with the state being almost 400 miles long ( North to south)there is a wide range on the tail end of the duck season for freeze up..so the guys in the north start first.The goose season opened up the beginning of September... They were quite a few ducks working the lake this weekend--but we just had our first good blast of cool Canadian air come through today..Hope this hasn't pushed the birds south.The weatherman is talking a hard frost tomorrow night.
Goldhunter all I can say is try a flintlock on warerfowl It really is a blast!

Ancient One said:
That's a $1,000.00 smile on that mans face, and worth every penny.

How could you tell?...The last couple of years my Dad hunted I could tell he saw it more as a journey..and now I'm starting to see what he saw..Thanks..Dad

Shooting a goose w/ a flintlock is a "triumph" and you should be justly proud of "your success". Not many are so dedicated as to "shun" modern arms in this "day of shortcuts" and use an "ancient tool" to procure "table fare". Which brings up the question....what's the fate of the bird? I've had the "opportunity" over many years to try and eat a few wild geese and found most of them inedible, except for the "newly hatched". My son who is an avid hunter dropped off a "big goose" and after I "cooked the goose" it was apparent that he had previously tried to make an "inedible" into a meal and was no longer willing to eat what he shot. Anyways, the goose I cooked was so tough that we saved the excellent gravy and had a meal of goose gravy on toast. I swear that an axe wouldn't have been an inappropriate "fate" for this bird. I'm basically a "meat hunter" and relish all my "kills" as table fare, but wild geese are the exception. My reply is in no way an attempt to discourage you from enjoying your "success"....Fred

The mistake is in overcooking goose, Fred. The meat does not have much fat in the muscle walls, so it has to be cooked in a wet environment, and you only want to cook it medium rare for best flavor, tenderness, and eating.

Before cooking it, you should soak it in cold water with either salt, or vinegar, to draw the blood out of the meat. That improves the taste to what we normally expect meat to taste. Otherwise, its too bloody and reminds our tongues of old liver, like the stuff we were served back in the 50s, in the public School cafeterias. Very Bitter tasting.

After drawing out the blood over a couple of hours, then soak the meat in CLEAN cold water to get rid of the salt or vinegar! Soak it for the same length of time. About as much blood will come out during this second soaking as did the first, but the end product is breast meat that looks more pink, than dark purple.

Use a good red wine, or some fruit juice if you can't or don't drink alcohol, to keep the meat moist during cooking. I suggest putting the meat in foil, with butter, seasonings, the wine, or juice, white onions, apples cut up, bell pepper or any other mild pepper to help flavor the meat, and then wrap the foil around the whole thing. The onion and apple, and wine or juice will help not only keep the meat moist, but help to sweeten it. The alcohol in the wine also marinates, and tenderizes the meat.

In fact, if you don't drink wine, marinate the meat in your refrigerator in a covered bowl, using wine as the marinade, along with any spices you like, for about 4 hours, before you cook the meat. If the meat is covered, and turned over at least once during that period, you should have a better tasting and more tender piece of meat to cook. Still cook it wet, but use water instead of the wine. What alcohol is in the meat will cook off during the baking process.

You can buy Plastic baking bags that will let you put the meat in them, with whatever fluids you like, and they can be used in the oven as their melting temperature is high enough they will not be affected by the heat in your oven.

I simply put mine on a roasting pan,with the water and wine in the bottom, and the entire meat above covered in foil, to keep the moisture in.

I have done these things cooking Canada Goose, which is also pretty tasty if smoked properly. However, I understand that White, and Blue Geese, much smaller birds that fly south later in the season, taste much more " muddy", because of where they feed, and what they eat. I recommend soaking these birds overnight, to draw out both blood and the muddy flavor. Then marinade them throughout the day to improve their flavor.

You can always use a pressure cooker to cook and tenderize old geese, BTW. Just put your favorite spices, or BBQ sauce in the Pressure cooker, and some water , per directions, and you will have a much more tender, and tasting old goose to eat.

As I said...the gravy was delicious. Sounds as though a lot of "camouflaging" is req'd to make these tough critters edible. All this marinading in wine and spices { I love a good cabernet} etc. makes one wonder if it's really worth it. Reminds me of the story of taking a muskrat{ swamp rabbit in New York restaurants} and cooking it on a genuine hickory board and when it's time to eat, throw the muskrat out and eat the board. I come from a family that has a fair share of gourmet cooks { my mother was in the restaurant business for many years} and the "wild game" we choose to eat doesn't require "soaking" in tenderizing concoctions and doesn't require unnatural cooking methods to make it palatable. I've been eating wild game for nigh on 70 years and have enjoyed many fine meals but a bird that can fly from northern Canada to southern South America has to have some pretty tough muscles, which to me, would make excellent gravy but not much "meat on the table". Sorry, but I'm not convinced....Fred

The best advice I've ever received on cooking geese was to treat them like a good steak instead of like poultry. The plain and simple fact is... if you cook them more than medium rare they will taste like liver and rusty log chain and wil have the appropriate consistancy to resole your boots. That being said, goose rates 3rd place at our house, right behind dove and duck, and just ahead of venison. Marinade them if you want, and don't overcook them and they are prime tablefare. :thumbsup:

Way to go makeumsmoke! :thumbsup: I too have enjoyed days afield with the ol' flintlock fowler. On my best day with it, I shot 4 for 6 shots. I would have got my 5 bird limit that day, except my partner got greedy and shot an extra with his 12ga. so we had our 10 bird limit.

While I shoot a few here and there with the fowler, I shoot a couple hundred a year with the shotgun so I know a thing or two about goose in the kitchen. The advice to treat it like beef and not cook past medium rare is spot-on. Most guys cook geese until they are a dehydrated mess, and even the finest filet mignon would be garbage after such abuse.

Try this recipe... trim one goose breast of all silver skin and connective tissue (as best you can). If you have one of those porcupine meat tenderizes they work great, but it's not an absolute necessity. Butterfly the goose, season with black pepper to taste and cook it medium rare in a pan with a little oil. Remove the meat and pour some blueberry pancake syrup in the pan. While the syrup is caramelizing, slice the goose across the grain (about 1/2" thick) and fan it out on a plate. Pour the gooey blueberry syrup over the meat and serve with whatever side dish you like (wild rice, etc). The sweet fruity taste goes great with the goose and even the vegetarians will like it. :wink:

I have a bunch more goose recipes for those interested... although we do make most of ours into various sausage products just because of sheer volume. Plus the farmers all love the goose sausage and it makes sharing easy.

flehto--thanks for the encouragement,this has been so much fun!-I too use most of my goose harvest for sausage products..brats... German summer...very easy to share...have had goose chili- have had goose Fajitas-using thin sliced smoked goose meat.For table fair I prefer duck. The thought of cooking a whole goose does not sound appealing to me.It is a hard bird to control.thanks again have a great fall!

Baron...Now that sounds like a red letter day that's is quite the accomplishment..Sounds like you live in goose heaven.Your blueberry goose dish sounds like it would work. Do you find it too easy when you go back to the modern shotgun after using the Fowler? Just curious. Thank you for sharing...Have a great fall

Yes, a 12ga. is easier for sure. We pile them up with the shotguns, but every now and then I change the focus to "quality not quantity" and enjoy a hunt with my fowler.

I'm in a great spot to be a goose hunter. Season runs from early September to early January. 10 bird limit in the early season, 5 through the main season and back up to 10 in our winter season. To give you an idea, we've already had 2 - 60 bird shoots this season. There are lots of geese, but we also work hard for them (scout a lot), have good equipment, and we're very efficient at what we do. I'm sure I could guide for geese and do very well at it, but why screw up our fun by making it a job. :wink:

The 4 bird morning with a 20ga. fusil.
flint-geese.jpg

And a couple with my 1830's (guesstimated) vintage 11ga. percussion fowler.
ML-geese.jpg

That sounds like a great hunt I haven't gotten a fowler yet so I stick with modern and archery. We kill a lot of geese each year and eat every one of them. I don't want to take up this post with receipes but if you will get a hold of me I will send you a couple of goose receipes that most people love, without all the fancy stuff.

Baron...Great photos all birds taken with a 20 fowler- AWESOME! It helps to have the number of shooting opportunities using a muzzle loader. I took a vacation day today for 2 reasons one I had 1 more goose tag to fill and I received a new 54 cal. 1 in 60 twist barrel for my GPH . I took a single goose over the decoys.It felt great. I'm still waiting for lighting to strike me I'm fun to much fun. The cold front pushed a number of ducks south. there were less geese flying today after the front went through. the duck opener starts Saturday ,looking forward to that.Enjoy your hunts...Dan

Latest posts

Back