• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock books: what's your recommendation??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M48scout

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post ... Thanks for the great forum.

I've recently acquired a flintlock bug, and want to understand more about the history of muzzleloaders before ordering an expensive rifle. My brief research here seems to indicate one should be informed enough to "buy once cry once" and get what you REALLY want, as opposed to a continuous upgrade path. To that end, I would like to learn more about the history of flint locks in my area of the woods.

Background: I'm a 39 yr old engineer from Bham Alabama. I love deer hunting, and wish to feel a kindrid spirt to those who have stalked these Alabama woods before me. I want to understand what someone of my means would have used to hunt for deer and enjoyment "back in the day" ... meaning as this land was being settled and explored by its new land owners. I've ordered the following off Amazon:

Muzzleloading Then and Now
Firearms in American History - 1600-1800
The Flintlock: It's Origin Development and Use
Guns on the Early Frontier: from Colonial Times to the Years of the Western Fur Trade
Flintlocks: A practical Guide for their use and Appreciation

So ... How'd I do? Any other books, articles, or other sources you would recommend for my quest.

Thanks!

David

Surprised you didn't get any answers. Your selection is good. I would add Sam Fadala's book on black powder guns. Check with the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association and find a club near you. The members will be a great help. graybeard

I also highly recommend getting a copy of "Thoughts On The Kentucky Rifle In Its Golden Age" by Joe Kindig Jr. Instead of just a book on the general aspects of flintlock guns, this book shares with it's readers the pin point details on many individual early rifle's and their builders. This book is considered by many longrifle students as being the "Bible" for the American longrifle enthusiast's.

"buy once cry once" and get what you REALLY want, as opposed to a continuous upgrade path.
:hmm: Almost nobody I know has EVER done that. Once bitten by the flintlock bug you will always feel the need to buy "just one more".
"All I want is a good deer rifle".
"But I need a squirrel gun too".
"A smoothbore would be awful handy".
"Boy THAT is a purty rifle".
"Hmm, I think I need a pistol".
"Muskets are cool".
And on and on and on... :haha:

I love deer hunting, and wish to feel a kindrid spirt to those who have stalked these Alabama woods before me. I want to understand what someone of my means would have used to hunt for deer and enjoyment "back in the day"

If you just want to feel a kindred spirit while deer hunting then any quality flintlock should fit the bill. If you desire to accurately portray a specific time and place then, yes, you should figure out exactly what you want first. First decide/define when "back in the day" was. Buy a rifle that represents what was available then or slightly earlier.

Good book list. I can't think of any to add.

Have fun. :thumbsup:

Back